net framework 3 what does it replace?

alright what does net framework 3 replace? does it replace both other frameworks? only 2? what bout the framework patches for 2?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....tml/netfx30.asp

How .NET Framework 3.0 Relates to .NET Framework 2.0 and Earlier

The .NET Framework 3.0 adds new technologies to the .NET Framework 2.0, which makes the .NET Framework 3.0 a superset of the .NET Framework 2.0. You can think of .NET Framework 3.0 as an "additive" release to the .NET Framework 2.0, as contrasted with a generational release where software is revised across the board. (For example, the .NET Framework 2.0 was a generational release over the .NET Framework 1.0.)

Because .NET Framework 3.0 is an additive release and uses the core run-time components from .NET Framework 2.0, it is completely backward compatible with the earlier version. Your existing .NET Framework 2.0 based-applications will continue to run without any modifications and you can safely continue your investments using the technologies that shipped with .NET Framework 2.0.

If you are moving to .NET Framework 3.0 from .NET Framework 1.1 or 1.0, you should perform impact analysis and run compatibility testing prior to deployment. While we have worked to make .NET Framework releases compatible, there are a small number of known incompatibles due to security and significant functionality additions. For more information, see the page Breaking Changes in .NET Framework 2.0 on the Microsoft .NET Developer Center Web site.

Hi,

I've attempted to install .NET v3.0 using the below:

REG ADD %KEY%\003 /VE /D ".NET Framework v3.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\003 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\microsoft\net\dotnet_v3.0.exe /q" /f

However, it does not show in Add/Remove and is not present in the Microsoft.NET folder within System32. I did install it using the /q switch before i added it to my RunOnceEx and it worked fine, so i'm quite confused as to why it hasn't worked :-/.