WD 100GB drive

the topic name basically sums it all up. i tried using Swissknife on it, but swissknife encounters some failure and has to close whenever i try to select the drive, even if just to look at what it can say.

i do have partition magic 8, but its given me problems before, so i avoid using it.

would it be worth trying to use PM8? i'm running the P4 rig right now, its got an 80GB master with a 40GB slave and also a 100GB slave, but i can't do anything with the 100, and i want to turn it into an external. any thoughts?

thanks, i'll check that out ASAP.

i resorted to PM8 for now, the drive already failed to partition 3 times...there was an error on the partition table around 63%, said it would repair on reboot, so i've got it trying again in the hopes im forcing it. i managed to get it to format in FAT32 i think a couple weeks ago, but then my computer didn't recognize it when i rebooted...not sure what to really say about it.

im not the original owner, so i can't give you too much about it.

the computer it came in was an eMachine with 48xCD-RW and a DVD drive, AMD2200+ and ATi Radeon 9200. thats about as much as i went into on that computer when i fixed it for my friend. i ended up swapping his WD100GB for a Maxtor 40GB [sounds mean but that maxtor is running well for what it is]. anyway, i have partition magic 8 and swissknife to use on it. earlier when i first booted my machine, it said that there was a SMART error with the drive and that it should be backed up and replaced. when i first put the drive in and booted it didn't give me that error, but in my computer it was only recognized as a drive, it couldn't give me a size for it.

low format, how could i do that another way? i've never used Fdisk before, so if possible avoid that one.