Defragment Program

m16si

Bah. Anything but diskeeper :P

Agreed. Avoid Diskeeper.

Why? I've been using it for months. My fragments is 0. My fragmentation level is 0%. What's your logic other than simply agreeing with someone says? Why do they dislike it? Do you even know if your reason and their reason are the same? Explain yourself.

Bah. Anything but diskeeper :P

Agreed. Avoid Diskeeper.

Why? I've been using it for months. My fragments is 0. My fragmentation level is 0%. What's your logic other than simply agreeing with someone says? Why do they dislike it? Do you even know if your reason and their reason are the same? Explain yourself.

I do not know the answer to all you questions.

Something for you to try: Unistall Diskeeper. Then try to use (defragment) the defragmenter that comes with windows. The defragmenter may not fuction correctly (tested only on Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4). Diskeeper seems to cripple the defragmenter that comes with Windows 2000.

I do not know the answer to all you questions.

You mean any of my questions. ;)

Something for you to try: Unistall Diskeeper. Then try to use (defragment) the defragmenter that comes with windows. The defragmenter may not fuction correctly (tested only on Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4). Diskeeper seems to cripple the defragmenter that comes with Windows 2000.

I have no intention of trying this because:

A. I do not use Windows 2000.

B. I have removed the many-years-old obsolete defragmenter function with nLite.

C. As I have stated, DK2007 does everything for me automatically and waits for available resources. No need for anything else.

Edited by Jeremy

This thread is an interesting read. I actually enjoyed the debate on whether defragmentation software is needed as much as it used to be. IMHO, I believe the answer is yes AND no.

I'm sure many users today have more than one partition and/or drives on their computer. One drive/partition hold the OS, and the others hold data. The partition/drive holding the OS should be defragmented quite frequently as their are always many files that are updated, added, or deleted. That is a given.

But...

The other partitions that hold data, may or may not need defragmentation. For example, on one of my drives, I hold just media. The whole drive has nothing but music and video (technically it's a RAID array, but back to the point). As I add to this drive, I adjust tags and information and then I run one pass with something like Diskkeeper. Two or three weeks later, there is still zero to very little defragmentation since all I've done is read from the drive.

As far as my preference, I still choose Diskkeeper. It has features that I personally like and it also helps that I've used it for so long that I'm comfortable with it. Another small reason is because they are the ones that built Windows built in defragmenter. So if Microsoft can trust the software enough to ship it within Windows, it can't be all too bad. (Somewhat of a oxymoron since Windows itself doesn't always work right :wacko: )

Subcodec, a drive that is used for only storage/backup needs less defragmentation than an OS drive. Once a new file is written to disk for storage or backup is made, that must be defragmented. OS drives constantly need defragmentation which is where Diskeeper 2007 comes in handy as it is automatic. I've almost forgotten what fragmentation is nowadays; been using DK2007 so long.

ProjecTK, not sure. I have a lot of Services removed with nLite and then most disabled and DK2007 functions normally.

Edited by Jeremy