Static IP's cost money?

Alright. id first like to thank you for your time in reading this. i need help so bad, and i cant tell you how much i appreciate this.

I want to port forward, and i think theres a big step im missing, which im surprised isnt covered by port-forward.com.

forwarding specific ports is easy enough, but it says yuou need a static ip address. this is where my confusion kicks in. i realize that your ISP provides you with an ip, and your router provides you with anbother ip. i also realize that the one from the router needs to eb static in order to port forward to it.

but what about DNS servers?

i followed the instructions, and everything was fine, but when i used ipconfig in the command box, my dns server things were th same as my ip? this didnt work when i inputted the information into the internet protocol properties box. my internet didnt work anymore

portforward.com said i could call my ISP about getting a DNS server, because they "answer these questions all the time".

then i fidn out getting my DNS number would require a static ip.

which requires BIG MONEY

so....does everyone who has.........basically, jsut...properly configured internet, and a portforwarded router pay big money every month?

or can i do this with a dynamic IP that doesnt cost as much?

is there something i dont understand?

Yeah, no need for static IPs or anything like that. Just use a service like dyndns, no-ip or the like (it will "follow" your IP). There are clients that will automatically update it for you (some routers have this built-in too). It's easier to remember (words) than an IP too.

• 2 weeks later...