terrible wireless internet

so i got the PC running up in my room just like i wanted, already connected to the digital 5.1 sound system, but the wireless internet connection is killing me. sometimes it'll last 5 minutes, sometimes not even that. i can access basically everything i really need, but i want the wireless connection to work better. give or take about 3 feet left or right, im just about right above the router. its a D-Link 614+ that gives an 11MB/s signal, that my computer receives about 4/5 bars according to the wireless internet properties. there is a very weak signal coming from my neighbors as well and im wondering if i can make my computer completely ignore that. i don't really want to run a cat5 up here being as thats a very tricky thing to do, especially the way the routers are set up.

does anyone know any software or tips that can help me? i really hate having to reconnect so much, its driving me up the wall. i want to be able to do more than just edit music on this.

the wireless card in my PC is a Linksys WMP11, which has never given me trouble before.

My first piece of advice - get rid of the DI-614+. I've dealt with them before, and I absolutely hated them (I actually hate most things D-Link TBH). That's probably where the source of your problems lies. As long as you're getting a good signal, your wireless shouldn't be kicking you off like that.

My mother's computer is sitting right above my WRT54GL that's running Thibor 15c firmware and neither she or I have ever had any random disconnects.

I know that 802.11n is around the corner (don't buy anything until it's final!), so you might not want to spend the money on a new 802.11g router, but have you tried a firmware update for your DI-614+? Updated drivers for your wireless card? What firewall are you running on that computer?

well, i've never had issues with the router, and i don't exactly have money for a new router [although on monday thats pretty much all going to change]

drivers are as current as i can get them...im just wondering why it drops the signal and then connects to hpsetup, which is a weak to pathetic signal that i don't know where it originates...my signal is 11.0MB/s, the hpsetup one is 2.0 if that. my other problem is my belkin wireless internet card...my computer doesn't even recognize its there, i tried manually installing hardware and i couldn't find it for balls.

my biggest question is how to get my computer to stick with my wireless, which is named Voyager..only kept it because the person who gave me the router had it like that, and i didn't want to change too much.

my other D-Link router is an absolute piece of junk, a DI-624 i think, supposed to give me 54.0MB/s but it just drops the signal after less than 2 minutes, and i can't return it or anything. those are the only wireless routers i have, i was thinking of getting one of the USB wireless things, in the hopes that it works better, but i felt like asking before buying which is usually a smart idea. i tried removing hp setup from the list of networks that my computer keeps, but after a little bit it just reconnected to that...its just kinda bugging me. also it kills the whole idea of using aim because it makes you wait if you try to sign on 15 times in 60 seconds or whatever...yea..im thinking of getting another router and running a cat5 from the other room in there, but if i can avoid it, i want to.

~edit~

i had a thought. would taking off the WEP solve it to any extent?

i removed the WEP, it seems to be a lot steadier. anyone know why? im not quite understanding why.

Edited by bonestonne

i think if you check your wireless properties, it should tell you which Access Points are designated preferred APs. If your neighbor's access point is the preferred connection, each time that signal is picked up by the wireless NIC in your PC, it might drop the current connection in an attempt to connect to the preferred network.

Unfortunately I'm not sitting in front of a wireless device where I can tell you exactly where to find that setting, but it's somewhere in the wireless network setup. I believe it may be where you can refresh the list of available networks.

good luck

Edited by rendrag