Vista RC1 Build 5600

richvball

ok everyone i just downloaded from MS site the "latest/greatest" release.

i have an AMD dual core 64 3800, 1GB RAM, couple hard drives, dvd, ati x300se video

it goes thro the install process and when it gets to the " computng system performance" it takes forever, in fact so slow i never let it finish because i have let it run over night and it NEVER finishes. So i reboot, go thru the entering of username/password again, and it doesn do the test. fortunately

what i am wondering about is why the following

selecting user account it literaly takes about 10 seconds before the correct screen where i can tye the password. then it takes about 5 minutes to get to the desktop. also as it does that it fades to black then eventually fades in to a proper screen with the desktop.

selectin the start button it again takes several seconds before it shows the full menu

this gives youan idea of its performance on my system

i couldnt have installed it wrong since it is self installing, except for time zone and entering username/password and what type network youre on.

what gives???

was this a clean install? what kind of HD is it installed on? most installs that act like this have been from bad media (DVD), try reburning the DVD at the slowest speed your burner has, and do a clean install to a HD. see if that helps at all

The "latest/greatest" you thought you d/l was not the "latest/greatest". See if you can get RC2 which is the "latest/greatest"

Could be a bad burn like Fizban2 suggested.

Also, just a silly question - you did install the correct version didn't you - i mean a 64bit version for 64bit and a 32bit version for 32 bit? I ask because i've heard of people installing the wrong version (putting a 32bit version on a 64bit machine - strangely some systems will install) and it ran like snail-snot on a winter day, basically like you described.

Edited by Spooky

The "latest/greatest" you thought you d/l was not the "latest/greatest". See if you can get RC2 which is the "latest/greatest"

Could be a bad burn like Fizban2 suggested.

Also, just a silly question - you did install the correct version didn't you - i mean a 64bit version for 64bit and a 32bit version for 32 bit? I ask because i've heard of people installing the wrong version (putting a 32bit version on a 64bit machine - strangely some systems will install) and it ran like snail-snot on a winter day, basically like you described.

his cpu is 64bit tho..

@ bled,

RC2 is no longer available for download, it had a cap of 200,000 downloads which finished in 72 hours,

@ spooky, since he has a 64 bit CPU he can install 32 bit or 64 bit, which ever he likes better, that won't effect this much. i am still going with a bad burn till we can rules that out

Pertaining to the differences in performance between 32-bit and 64-bit:

I have run both versions on my desktop. I have an Opteron 170 dual core at the stock 2.0 Ghz with 2 gigs of memory, a 1.2 TB RAID 0 (4x320), and a Nvidia 7600GT. In both cases, I noticed little to no difference in performance. I would say that overall, the 32-bit worked better of the two. Applications were more compatible and I also have a tuner card that wouldn't work in the 64-bit version.

As for the original problem, it's hard to say if it is even a bad burn. I have always burned the different builds of Vista on a DVD-RW at 4x speed with no problems. What he could do is reburn the DVD and have the burning application verify the disc when it's done.

As for my opinion, the slowdown he might be experiencing might be in that early part after an install. I have noticed that Vista keeps things quite active in the background for the first while after an install. I'm thinking that between defragging and other services learning how you use the computer, it affects performance till things settle in. It is also good to remember that these are all pre-RTM builds and much of the debugging is still turned on.

Pertaining to the differences in performance between 32-bit and 64-bit:

I have run both versions on my desktop. I have an Opteron 170 dual core at the stock 2.0 Ghz with 2 gigs of memory, a 1.2 TB RAID 0 (4x320), and a Nvidia 7600GT. In both cases, I noticed little to no difference in performance. I would say that overall, the 32-bit worked better of the two. Applications were more compatible and I also have a tuner card that wouldn't work in the 64-bit version.

As for the original problem, it's hard to say if it is even a bad burn. I have always burned the different builds of Vista on a DVD-RW at 4x speed with no problems. What he could do is reburn the DVD and have the burning application verify the disc when it's done.

As for my opinion, the slowdown he might be experiencing might be in that early part after an install. I have noticed that Vista keeps things quite active in the background for the first while after an install. I'm thinking that between defragging and other services learning how you use the computer, it affects performance till things settle in. It is also good to remember that these are all pre-RTM builds and much of the debugging is still turned on.

correct, right after your install vista will be indexing everything on the computer so it can give you faster search results, rather then the old fashioned snail crawl search it keeps everything up to date with an index, the first time it does this you get some pretty slow results with vista but onces its done it flies,

i think at this point we need to rule out bad media by having him reburn either 32 or 64 and reinstall, troubleshooting can start indepth from there. i know i have had media problems before (my TDK didn't burn a dvd+RW right once) it was slower then &*$# when i booted up

OK, I didn't catch that he was 64bit, maybe i'd better clean my glasses :)

Yeah, i'm with you fizban2, I tend to think its a bad burn also.

@ bled,

RC2 is no longer available for download, it had a cap of 200,000 downloads which finished in 72 hours,

@ spooky, since he has a 64 bit CPU he can install 32 bit or 64 bit, which ever he likes better, that won't effect this much. i am still going with a bad burn till we can rules that out