Menu selection for software install

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but do you guys think this is possible? What I'd like to do is give my friend a bootable DVD w/ all the files and programs I usually install, but with some sort of easy interface giving him options of what to install and what not to install. IE. He doesn't have an APC UPS, so he may not want to install PowerChute.

You could do it the long way around and create a dos menu that will appear something like:

Press the matching number to install a program

1. Norton Anti Virus

2. MSN Messenger

3. WinISO

4. DivX 5.2

etc.

I could explain how to do that if you wish. But the problem is, you'll need a serpate batch file for every program (Unless you wanted to install them in groups or something)

Failing that there isnt much else. I could create a program using VB to do something like your asking if there is enough support behind it, so i know im not waisting my time :)

Yeah, option #1 is probably w/in my means but not very efficient. Your second option would be preferable.

Maybe others on this board are interested???

I think it'd be awesome to hand the disks to my friends (who already have their own copy of XP of course) and they could install it on any of their machines w/o me having to explain how to edit the files to leave out progs they don't want.

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing. Creating a DVD with a whole bunch of stuff on it. Id need a program selecter thing, cause who really wants to install 5 gig of programs?

If i was going to do this for myself, i woudlnt start it for a while. But, as i've said, if enough of the MSFN community backs it, ill get to work on it.

that's exactly what it is used for. i understand that most people want all the programs, but say they have different hardware compared to the original machine, so maybe just turn my nifty program into a driver selection program, and load all lastest drivers for the most common known hardware (ati videocard drivers, nvidia videocard drivers, a few types of soundcard drivers, and what not..)

^^

this gives me an idea... :)

that's exactly what it is used for. i understand that most people want all the programs, but say they have different hardware compared to the original machine, so maybe just turn my nifty program into a driver selection program, and load all lastest drivers for the most common known hardware (ati videocard drivers, nvidia videocard drivers, a few types of soundcard drivers, and what not..)

^^

this gives me an idea... :)

Why do you need to select drivers? If you have a VIA chipset board, it loads the VIA drivers....if you have an nForce, it loads those.

Now if you're talking about control panels, that's a different story.

• 1 month later...
You could do it the long way around and create a dos menu that will appear something like:

Press the matching number to install a program

1. Norton Anti Virus

2. MSN Messenger

3. WinISO

4. DivX 5.2

etc.

I could explain how to do that if you wish. But the problem is, you'll need a serpate batch file for every program (Unless you wanted to install them in groups or something)

Failing that there isnt much else. I could create a program using VB to do something like your asking if there is enough support behind it, so i know im not waisting my time :)

How do I create a menu like that?