Looking to build a new system-need advice

RJM

jcarle's the guy to listen to... I was about to suggest an antec case as well. They might not have all the flasy bells and whistles of other cases, but they're solid, well built, and often come with good power supplies as well.

Another option for the case is the Antec P180 or TX1050B. They're a bit more pricey, but the P180 was built for sound dampening, and the TX1050B would give you a bit more room. I dunno about you, but I ran out of space with 8 drive bays in my old Antec 2650 case. :P

@puntoMX - The AC7 stand up to the 9500? Not a chance... The only thing so far that can beat the 9500 at low very airflow is the Ninja. The Intel stock coolers might not be as noisy as they once were, but when you sit next to one of them compared to a quiet heatsink - you'll wonder how you ever went back.

- Zalman CNP9500 LED - Review

- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - Review

- Scythe SCNJ-1000 Ninja - Review

The Lian li PC-61 USB looks good. Ill go with that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811112025

As for the cooler I only plan to overclock to about 3 to 3.2 GHZ whatever I can get out of

the stock CPU voltage and from what I have read even the stock cooler would do this but

the AC 7 will do it quieter.

And still for the video the X1900XT 256 but I'm still reading the reviews.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Vi...pict203123.html

Thanks for the comments

Jcarle:- The P5W DH Delux only supports DDR2 533/667/800 and runs 1-1 with the DDR2-533 at 2.4GHZ

with a /9 divider (266X2). Conroe benifits from faster memory more than tighter timings which is why I went with the DDR2-800 memory instead of 667 which I would have to over clock to 711 at 3.2GHZ.

Edited by RJM

@puntoMX - The AC7 stand up to the 9500? Not a chance... The only thing so far that can beat the 9500 at low very airflow is the Ninja. The Intel stock coolers might not be as noisy as they once were, but when you sit next to one of them compared to a quiet heatsink - you'll wonder how you ever went back.

You are saying it right, on low airflow it can’t keep up with the 9500 but I wonder how many people will use there fans on 7v with an iNTEL. If it was an AMD it should work fine on 7v but it’s not. I was talking about 12v on the fan(s).

I like the Antec case too, recommended it to a few people before, but the door is a bit flimsy. Personally I like more cases that can take up some beating and abuse like the CoolerMaster and the Lian-Li ;).

@puntoMX - Did you look at the temperatures of their system with the 9500 at 5V?

Link

The CPU they're using has a TDP of 69W - which is on par, if not higher than the Conroes. Load temps of 40-44C with a Conroe? I'll take that anyday. :) The AC7 hits the thermal throttling barrier at lower speeds/volumes.

Zxian was talking about the P180, and I was talking about the door from the P180 ;).

I ain't got no problem with that door :P mind you, it's usually open and it's on my desk. I did read that there were a lot of complaints about it, though Antec has fixed those previous issues and the P180 and P180B are on revision 3.

I personally adore my P180 since I can shove ANYTHING I want in it and it fits, plus it's a nice bonus to have the power supply at the bottom.

Zxian was talking about the P180, and I was talking about the door from the P180 ;).

Granted - the door from the original P180 was flimsy and suffered from poor hinges, but that's been fixed with the P180B and it's new silver counter part. I guess the only remaining gripe some people have about the door is that it's not hard-latched shut (the magnet might be a little weak for some people's feel).

Oops, a little mistake on my part, it seems XP home does not support dual core. Upgade to XP MCE $20.

And video cards it's down to 7900GTO or X1900XT 256M both are getting harder to find In-Stock.

Has anyone here bought anything from:

http://thenerds.net/ ?

Edited by RJM

Oops, a little mistake on my part, it seems XP home does not support dual core. Upgade to XP MCE $20.

And video cards it's down to 7900GTO or X1900XT 256M both are getting harder to find In-Stock.

Has anyone here bought anything from:

http://thenerds.net/ ?

XP Home does support dual core. What it does not support is dual processor. All single (physical) CPU systems are supported by XP Home.

I'd take the nVidia card over the ATI. The Catalyst drivers are just getting more and more annoying. :no:

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got the system on Thursday, assembled it and turned it on. I was amazed it

Asked for an operating system and XP installed with no hitches!

The only problems that I had were one of the front fans on the case is

Very noisy and will have to be replaced and the DVD burner died on Sunday.

First 3Dmark 05 score, no overclocking 11457. Temperature CPU idle 33C

Load 47C GPU idle 53C load 75C. I will start to overclock on the weekend.

1 CPU Intel CD2 E6600 2.4g $308.00__

1 Keyboard Benq X800 $12.99

1 Graphics card VGA Sapphire X1950XT $269.99

2 Seagate HD250G SATA2 hard drives $74.99ea $149.98

1 Motherboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe $227.99

1 Computer case LL/PC61USB BLK RT $89.99

1 Memory 1GX2/G.SK F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK R $199.99

1 DVD Burner Samsung/SH-S182D RAM BK $29.99

1 Power Supply Goodpower 500W RT $49.99

1 Mouse Logitech/optical BLK PS2/USB RT $12.99

1 Operating System Win XP HM SP2B OEM $89.99

1 hard disk controller Rosewill/RC-209 SATA PCI $22.99