AGP to PCI-Express

djstevieb

AGP or PCI-Express?

I'm not a massive gamer but I treated myself to a new game today, installed it and then found out my graphics card wasn't quite good enough to run the game. I have a GeForce 6200 and it wanted the Geforce 6600 and above, typical isn't it!

I thought a while ago about upgrading my computer but have put it off until now. I currently have the Asus K8N mother board running a AMD Sempron 3000+ and the Geforce 6200 grpahics card as I mentioned above.

I have been looking at parts to build a new PC and will probably end up getting the following mother board and processor: -

Mother Board = Asus A8V-XE S939, PCI-E, SATA2, Lan, 5.1Snd, ATX

Processor = AMD Athlon64 3700+ Socket 939 (Sandiago) CPU -Retail Box-

My problem lies with the fact I know nothing at all about these new PCI-E graphics cards. I know my way around a computer inside and out, but I just havn't needed to know anything about the PCI-E therefore I don't. I know AGP is being phased out and PCI-E is to be its replacement, but thats about all I know. :}

Can someone explain to me (in plain english) what the main differences are between AGP and PCI-Express (apart from they are different slots)?

Is there any speed difference between a 256mb AGP graphics card and a 256mb PCI-Express grpahics card for example?

Any recommendations?

they are essentially the same performance wise. pci-e has a higher bandwith tho which means it has the potential for higher performance. since ur getting a pci-e mobo, you will need a pci-e vid card. i would recommend a 7600gt or a 7900gs/7900gt

PCI-E is a serial bus technology that moves data in two directions at the same time, while AGP is a parallel technology that moves data in one direction at a time.

PCI-E is designed to be faster than AGP and is featured in most modern motherboards.

Virtually all the new video chipsets are available ONLY in PCI-E form.

AGP is the past and PCI-E is the future. :thumbup

Good luck with that new system. Seems we have LOTS more choices now than ever before....

see this page for more info: http://www.directron.com/expressguide.html

Thanks for the posts guys!

So basically AGP cant go any further than it has, so PCI-E is the next step up?

Theres not much difference (if any) between a 256mb AGP graphics card and a 256mb PCI-Express graphics card?

Am I right in presuming PCI-E will go further than AGP ever did, otherwise there wouldn't be much point in changing to PCI-E?

----

I've just been looking at the 7600gt, 7900gs and 7900gt, but they are a bit out of my price range at the moment. I've had a look and theres loads of PCI-E graphics cards ranging from £10 to over £300. All I'm looking for is a decent 256mb+ graphics card with TV out and a £50 price limit. I've been looking at Eclipse Computers as thats where I'm getting the rest of my parts from.

If anyone could point me in the direction of a card from there I'd be grateful!

Edited by djstevieb