Help with broken registry entries

stephenrobinson

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME I AM IN WORK OK AND I DECIDE TO SPEED UP MY MACHINE BY RUNNING A REGISTRY CLEANER WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO REMOME "unused regitry data" BUT AFTER I RUN IT I LOOSE SOME VITAL INSTALL INFORMATION AND A LOT OF PROGRAMMES WONT WORK INCLUDING HAVING NO CONNECTION TO THE NETWORK. THERE ARE ERROR MESSAGES SAYING "BLAH DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE INSTALLED". MY BOSS IN WORK HAD SYSTEM RESTORE TURNED OFF SO THATS OUT.

"IS THERE ANOTHER WAY TO RESTORE MY REGISTRY STATE TO A PREVIOUS DATE OR BOOT OR SOMETHING"

REGARDS STEPHEN

Sounds like it might be time for an OS re-build. :(

One word of advice--always back up your registry before making any changes! Even when using an automated program that's supposed to "know what it's doing"!

If the registry cleaner made a log file of what it did, you may be able to manually restore, but it would probably take less time and energy to just re-install XP, in the long run--plus the chances of ever getting your system back to it's previous state are not likely.

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME I AM IN WORK OK AND I DECIDE TO SPEED UP MY MACHINE BY RUNNING A REGISTRY CLEANER WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO REMOME "unused regitry data" BUT AFTER I RUN IT I LOOSE SOME VITAL INSTALL INFORMATION AND A LOT OF PROGRAMMES WONT WORK INCLUDING HAVING NO CONNECTION TO THE NETWORK. THERE ARE ERROR MESSAGES SAYING "BLAH DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE INSTALLED". MY BOSS IN WORK HAD SYSTEM RESTORE TURNED OFF SO THATS OUT.

"IS THERE ANOTHER WAY TO RESTORE MY REGISTRY STATE TO A PREVIOUS DATE OR BOOT OR SOMETHING"

REGARDS STEPHEN

I have no idea what registry cleaner you used, but most have a backup system with the software. If your software you used has a backup and restore registry to previous situation you can do that. If the OS system restore was turned off, you certainly cannot use that. So try to see if the software you used saved the system registry and if so, restore it to previous situation. If you cannot restore the registry then your in trouble already. If all else fails, you will have to reinstall your computer operating system. It is never a good idea to mess with the registry unless you know exactly what is being deleted or changed. I guess you kind of found that out. But if the software you used cannot restore the registry, you have no alternative but to re-install all that was lost and it could be the whole operating system.

...WONT WORK INCLUDING HAVING NO CONNECTION TO THE NETWORK.

Hopefully for you, it seems like you're connected now.

Sadly for everyone else, your caps lock key has prefered to lock your keyboard and go away ('coz it did saw your registry being destroyed by your chainsaw... er, sorry, your "registry cleaner").

Since you did disabled windows' built-in id***-proofing, you must know how to revert by yourself. (when you disabled it, you were prompted "it may be dangerous, are you sure ?", doesn't you ?)

With so few details, my only advices will be :

1. read the board rules

2. read again the board rules, you missed something because you're reading too fast

3. read the board rules NOW because you forgot to do both the first and the second advice before reaching this line thinking it's unuseful to read the board rules before going to the next advice

4. go to advice 1 until you know the board rules by heart

5. repair not working apps

6. now, you're reached the end. can you tell me how many times i wrote "the board rules" without reading again my post ? If not, you were not atentive enough.

++

CHEERS I'M IN DEEP s*** SO. THE REGISTRY CLEANER ASSURED ME IT WOULD KEP A BACKUP BUT WHEN I TRIED IT I GOT A DIALOG SAYING "INVALID BACKUP" SO I WENT TO THE ZIPPED BACKUP FOLDER IN PROGRAM FILES AND IT HAD ALL THE INFORMATION I NEEDED EXCEPT THAT IT WAS MISSING THE config.ini FILE THAT OTHER BACKUPS HAD THIS FILE STORES THE LOCATION OF WHERE TO RESTORE EACH REGISTRY

registryfix 5.5

Can i reinstall Windows XP around the existing data

Sometimes the only way to repair XP is to reinstall. You do not have to wipe your partition and start over. Just as with previous versions of Windows you can reinstall right over top of an existing setup. This has the advantage of retaining your installed applications, data and settings. You will lose previously saved System Restore Points but System Restore will begin creating new restore points again immediately following the Repair Install. You will need to reinstall SP2 and any Critical Updates from the Windows Update Site. Be aware that a Repair Install will leave your system vulnerable to the Blaster and Welchia worms. Do not go on line until you have enabled XP's firewall first. Then visit the Windows Update Site to patch your system It is always prudent to backup important data before you make changes to XP.

registryfix 5.5

Can i reinstall Windows XP around the existing data

...while it may be possible, a repair installation probably won't repair your broken apps. I've always been an advocate for fresh install (if possible), because this usually causes less headaches in the long run.

I can tell countless stories of folks who spent hours or days trying to repair an OS installation, only to eventually do a full reinstall anyway.

@stephenrobinson - Please don't post in all CAPS. It makes it difficult for others to read, and we'll can still get the message that you're having troubles. ;)

As for your problem, it sounds like you might have to start from scratch. Registry cleaners often do more harm than good, and cleaning out your unused registry entries often doesn't do much for performance. If it's not being used, what difference will it make if it's not there?

You will need to reinstall SP2 and any Critical Updates from the Windows Update Site. Be aware that a Repair Install will leave your system vulnerable to the Blaster and Welchia worms. Do not go on line until you have enabled XP's firewall first.

That's outdated info. This won't happen if you use an SP2 slipstreamed XP CD.

It's extremely unwise to use any registry cleaner without first having a backup. It's not high tech knowledge, but common sense. Without a backup or system restore point it's too late.

Any good reg cleaner should include a backup function by default, in case the user doesn't even think of doing it. And it'd be a good idea to test the restore function first.

More seriously, any company who freely allows employees to do this kind of thing should have a most urgent immediate audit on its security and backup practice. It's just amazing this still happens. Who knows the next time someone would install stuff or modify the workstations and introduce some vulnerabilities and data loss to the whole system.

:no::no:

Edited by Takeshi