AutoIt

Just wanted to share a really cool prog i found to help in unattended installations (escpecially for installations that don't support it). What it does is write scripts that can simulate mouse-clicks or send Keyboard keys!

AutoIt download page and documentation...

Haven't really mastered it, but it's pretty simple to use. :):rolleyes:

For example, programs that u can't install with switches for whatever reasons, u can send key presses to the installation program just to press the "next" button or to fill in installation directories or serial nº's...

There is also Symantec's AI Snapshot (included in Ghost) that takes a snapshot of the registry and disk before and after an installation. It creates an exe to make the necessary changes as shown in the snapshots. The exe install is silent by default.

• 3 months later...

I began using AutoIt last summer, long before stumbling upon this forum. Most of the AutoIt builds I had painstakingly created where trounced by the automation genius found here, but I still use it for a few things, for example to configure TweakUI after the setup is complete and run batch files to configure the Quick Launch toolbar. I also use it to present dialog boxes asking whether the user wants to rename the PC, install additional drivers for specific hardware items, defragment the hard drive when the whole mess is completed, etc. Not "pure unattended" to be sure, but the little proggy has it's place in the unattended world, IMHO. :)

Remember, too, that you can compile those .aut scripts as executables, negating any need to install AutoIt itself on the target machine. Any operation that can be accomplished with a keyboard and mouse can be done with AutoIt, in my experience. Want to install MusicMatch, MS Money, etc. and fully configure them to your tastes? AutoIt! And it's a gas watching it work!

@blinkdt

Thanks for the info, but is it possible for you to post some tutorials (with examples on how, where and what) for complete beginners. The help files included in the prog, seems a little confusing. Just a little help in the right direction, would be most appreciated.

:)