Media Player problems [and workarounds]

CLASYS

First of all, Hi to all of you! Been a long summer, and back to work, etc.

Been having a few problems with the 828026/832353 updates for MP64 and MP71. Here's the configuration:

Hardware: SuperMicro PGDGE dual PII-450, 512 MB, 3com Etherlink III, TEAC DW-552E, Matrox Millenium I 8 MB. [Note: No drivers added; this is a test configuration to see if you can make a system adding NO driver upgrades beyond 98SE release.]

Software: 98SE with 98lite installed before [as opposed to after], followed by upgrade to IE 6.0 SP1 and many patches, then SP 2.1a, then remove extraneous reference to q313829 in IE Help/About the SP causes [minor cosmetic; the SP needs to check that the update has already been applied and not do it again.]

The IE 6.0 install included the WMP6.4 option.

At this point want to apply 832353. [Note: WMP7.1 is NOT present.]

Of course the "official" release can't work, because this ain't ME.

Using the MP832353.EXE seems to do something, goes through the motions, but ultimately cannot update msxdm.ocx.

Using Q832353.EXE says "You must install Windows Media Player 6.4 to use this update" so no better.

Applying powerarchiver to all of the updates I know of:

I have had success with the MS release for ME of 832353 if I work with the innards of the fix as long as MP71 or perhaps MP9 are present. I don't remember if I used the LaunchWMPInf.exe file or right-clicked "install" on the appropriate .inf file, but in any case all of that doesn't work here where I only have MP64 installed.

I also tried the MS release for NT innards and it doesn't work either.

The innards of MP832353.EXE also doesn't work.

The innards of Q832353.EXE **DOES** work!!!

So why is it complaining unless opened "naked"?

Additionally, using it this way [the only way I can get it to do anything useful!], it seems to have the mark of several other unofficial updates, in that it gets confused about finding update files during the update, which makes unattended use impossible even if I can figure out how otherwise to make it unattended, etc.

Is there any way [some form of RUNDLL or whatever] to automate for batch purposes what is the right-click to "install" option of an inf file?

Thanks for reading, guys

cjl

?

?

Is there any way [some form of RUNDLL or whatever]to automate for batch purposes what is the right-click to "install" option of an inf file?

You could maybe simply put this in a batch file :

"rundll.exe setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %1"

And replace %1 by the name/path of your inf file.

But you'll probably have to use the wait command if you want to chain updates.

Better bet is to create a single inf file where you put everything in.

Or create an installer for each inf file with IExpress and chain those installers with WishMaker's tool, the Windows Updates Installer.

Edited by eidenk

?

resp: Meaning all updates called 828026 or 832353 from MS or user-written replacements. PowerArchiver is just a convenient way to get these updates unpacked into their component form, etc. Each one generally would allow a command-line usage with typically /C and perhaps /T, etc.

?

resp: Meaning to work with the unpacked files as opposed to the package as is generally expected. Sometimes it's a designated internal .exe file, other times it's some .inf file or other that would be used with a right-click to "install" option on the opened menu, etc.

Is there any way [some form of RUNDLL or whatever] to automate for batch purposes what is the right-click to "install" option of an inf file?

You could maybe simply put this in a batch file :

"rundll.exe setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %1"

And replace %1 by the name/path of your inf file.

But you'll probably have to use the wait command if you want to chain updates.

Better bet is to create a single inf file where you put everything in.

Or create an installer for each inf file with IExpress and chain those installers with WishMaker's tool, the Windows Updates Installer.

The purpose is to hardwire the command inside of a much larger batch, so a passed argument isn't necessary.

However, it would be nice if it worked relative to the current directory it was running in.

An example would be to first unpack the files of the user-written Q832353.EXE into an arbitrary subdirectory of the batch folder itself. Call that TEMP, thus from the vantage point of the running batch job, this is .\TEMP etc. In there would be the .inf file that wants to have accomplished the equivalent of the right-click "install" option, along with all of the other files released within the Q832353.EXE package. [As a relative folder called TEMP, all of this is easily accomplished with normal batch commands, etc., and thus no open questions about that aspect of things.]

So, would this be an appropriate usage:

CD TEMP

rundll.exe setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 KB832353Me64.inf

CD .. [for the benefit of the other updates in the batch lacking this problem]

[Can you explain what this does? I am especially curious of just what is 132 meaning? I know that a lot of .inf stuff uses arbitrary numbers to designate such as specific subdirectories, etc.]

The overall purpose is to batch together all of the prevailing updates to Media Player 6.4 in 98SE. Unfortunately, the packaged version of 832353 was released with a deliberate restriction [probably arrogantly by a manager within MS] to prevent the package from running on other than ME. [Note: The typical usage is to update WMP 7.1 in 98SE. The right-click option on the related KB832353Me7.inf file to "install" works just fine, and was the way we worked-around these updates when they were first released, etc.] Since then, at least two user-written packages CLAIMING to perform this have appeared [available from MGDx], but neither quite function correctly for unknown reasons; the Q832353 [as opposed to the MP832353] is the object of this, since it actually does work [manually only, but the other one doesn't work at all for the same purpose; it works splendidly for MP 7.1 and MP 9!], etc.

Unlike Media Player 9, Media Player 6.4 and 7.1 never had updates that render this one obsolete, thus the user activity to replace the flawed original.

cjl

?

resp: Meaning all updates called 828026 or 832353 from MS or user-written replacements. PowerArchiver is just a convenient way to get these updates unpacked into their component form, etc. Each one generally would allow a command-line usage with typically /C and perhaps /T, etc.

For the sake of clarity, could you please next time use standard vocabulary when you say something ? And say simply "unpacking" as "applying PowerArchiver" could have any of several different meanings.

?
resp: Meaning to work with the unpacked files as opposed to the package as is generally expected. Sometimes it's a designated internal .exe file, other times it's some .inf file or other that would be used with a right-click to "install" option on the opened menu, etc."

Same here.

CD TEMP

CD .. [for the benefit of the other updates in the batch lacking this problem][Can you explain what this does? I am especially curious of just what is 132 meaning? I know that a lot of .inf stuff uses arbitrary numbers to designate such as specific subdirectories, etc.]

I just copied that in the registry at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\inffile\shell\install\command

I don't know more about it.

The overall purpose is to batch together all of the prevailing updates to Media Player 6.4 in 98SE. Unfortunately, the packaged version of 832353 was released with a deliberate restriction [probably arrogantly by a manager within MS]to prevent the package from running on other than ME. [Note: The typical usage is to update WMP 7.1 in 98SE. The right-click option on the related KB832353Me7.inf file to "install" works just fine, and was the way we worked-around these updates when they were first released, etc.] Since then, at least two user-written packages CLAIMING to perform this have appeared [available from MGDx], but neither quite function correctly for unknown reasons; the Q832353 [as opposed to the MP832353] is the object of this, since it actually does work [manually only, but the other one doesn't work at all for the same purpose; it works splendidly for MP 7.1 and MP 9!], etc.

There is probably not a lot to change in the inf file to make 832353 work on 98SE as well. I'd suggest you compare a simple inf file that works on 98SE with this one and you should find quite easily what to change to make it work IMO.

I think that the_guy is working on such cumulated updates for the Media Players, so maybe it's best you just wait for it.

HTH

Been having a few problems with the 828026/832353 updates for MP64 and MP71. Here's the configuration:

Hardware: SuperMicro PGDGE dual PII-450, 512 MB, 3com Etherlink III, TEAC DW-552E, Matrox Millenium I 8 MB. [Note: No drivers added; this is a test configuration to see if you can make a system adding NO driver upgrades beyond 98SE release.]

You don't actually expect Windows 98 to work properly on a dual CPU system, do you?

CD TEMP

CD .. [for the benefit of the other updates in the batch lacking this problem]

[Can you explain what this does? I am especially curious of just what is 132 meaning? I know that a lot of .inf stuff uses arbitrary numbers to designate such as specific subdirectories, etc.]

I just copied that in the registry at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\inffile\shell\install\command

I don't know more about it.

resp: OK, I'll try it. There are a couple of other applications for pretty much the same thing. For example, there is a [i believe MS-sourced] .inf file to defrag all drives after next reboot that works with a right-click install that would be more convenient if a batch could apply it instead [perhaps with a forced reboot as well], and perhaps an easier way to install TWEAKUI version 1.33 which is also accomplished the same way, etc.

The overall purpose is to batch together all of the prevailing updates to Media Player 6.4 in 98SE. Unfortunately, the packaged version of 832353 was released with a deliberate restriction [probably arrogantly by a manager within MS] to prevent the package from running on other than ME. [Note: The typical usage is to update WMP 7.1 in 98SE. The right-click option on the related KB832353Me7.inf file to "install" works just fine, and was the way we worked-around these updates when they were first released, etc.] Since then, at least two user-written packages CLAIMING to perform this have appeared [available from MGDx], but neither quite function correctly for unknown reasons; the Q832353 [as opposed to the MP832353] is the object of this, since it actually does work [manually only, but the other one doesn't work at all for the same purpose; it works splendidly for MP 7.1 and MP 9!], etc.

There is probably not a lot to change in the inf file to make 832353 work on 98SE as well. I'd suggest you compare a simple inf file that works on 98SE with this one and you should find quite easily what to change to make it work IMO.

I think that the_guy is working on such cumulated updates for the Media Players, so maybe it's best you just wait for it.

HTH

I hope it can be fixed, since clearly two other attempts haven't fixed it, other than this right-click method to update MP6.4 as the only way currently available that actually works. Although I haven't tested it, I would like to hear from anyone who got the ORIGINAL MS hotfix to work in ME. The only way to have this checked is to build ME and not update it with regard to WMP. This would give you MP6.4 elegible for the hotfix[es; since the problem also applies to the obsolete 828026 that 832353 replaces] and irrelevantly MP7.0 but not MP7.1. Since the fix only updates the highest version installed among 6.4, 7.1 and 9.0, this would be the only configuration where the original could be tested as released, etc.

The original release, although constrained by the package to check for ME, actually does have use in 98SE as long as you are attempting to use it for the purpose of updating MP7.1 or MP9.0. It sounds more like this is a bug regarding the ability to patch mp6.4, not which operating system.

Additionally, it only patches the highest of the three supported versions installed. While I cannot get it to patch 6.4 if 7.1 is installed, this appears to be by design. And of course if 9.0 is installed, that's what gets patched, etc.

The user-written MP832353.EXE works perfectly fine for patching WMP 7.1 or WMP 9.0 for Win98SE and is perfectly batchable. However, it claims to work for 6.4 and fails to. Same if you unpack the files within the user-written hotfix, which is how I observed its failure to update WMP 6.4 [when 7.1 or 9.0 is not installed].

The user-written Q832353.EXE perhaps almost solves the problem, but I cannot get it to run as supplied. It always issues a message regarding the need to install WMP6.4 and will not patch my system [which has 6.4 installed either from the stand-alone MS installation package generally known as mpfull.exe or as as the result of optionally installing it with IE6.0 SP1.

This one claims to specifically solve the problem I seek relief with, since it's a package to just update 6.4, not 7.1 or 9.0, and I think for more systems than just 98SE. Once unpacked and using the right-click INSTALL option, it is the only way to get this problem solved available now. Perhaps it works as released in 98 or 95 but...

cjl

You don't actually expect Windows 98 to work properly on a dual CPU system, do you?

Actually it works quite fine; this board's GX chipset is perfectly supported in "vanilla" 98SE from 23-APR-1999.

As to the use of the second CPU, that's another story!

To successfully use this board with a 450 MHz CPU requires the dual-CPU buss to be "terminated" properly. Your options are a hard-to-find buss terminator that plugs into the second-CPU socket, OR to plug in an identical CPU. I chose the latter, since I happen to have a pair of the latest stepping PII 450 MHz, the ones in the SECC2 package more usually associated with the PIII that uses the slightly different CPU hold-down hardware. [This board doesn't really like PIII, and while the upgraded BIOS is rated for it, it's merely a family upgrade of the BIOS for the benefit of related boards that support only one CPU, etc. I did the upgrade to get larger-disk LBA support that comes with the last release.]

So, at first glance, it appears to be a dual PIII system, but while using SECC2 hold-down hardware and heatsink/fan units, they are actually the tail-end production of PII chips.

All works perfectly fine on 98SE, including APM support and the ability to shutdown and power-off.

However, in XP, another matter entirely: With a single CPU [slower to regain stability, I used a PII-300], it works perfectly fine as APM, but XP does NOT support DUAL-CPU shutdown to power-off unless you also have ACPI, which this old board doesn't quite have. Thus, with the present two CPUs, you get the rarely seen XP version of the "It is safe to shutdown Windows" message.

It's a nice old board, and gave me a place to put FOUR 128 MB PC-100 SDRAMs. In seven slots, you get a 2x AGP, one ISA, one ISA/PCI-shared and the rest are PCIs.

Only problem is that while it is ATX, it's broad in the front-to-back sense. Won't fit in quite a few cases, but I found an adequately "deep" one, etc.

cjl

CLASYS,

you may want to ask MDGx on how the official and unofficial Q832353 WMP patches work.

Does he know, or are these just slapped up on his website? I don't see how anything past what I report can change anything.

It's apparently true that the Q832353 version doesn't like my configuration. Perhaps it wasn't tested in 98SE or in conjunction with IE 6.0SP1 and patches, even though usually obtained along with IE6, etc.

There really isn't much to explain about an explicit message "You must install Windows Media Player 6.4 first" is there?

Upon examining the innards of both patches, it's clear that Q832353 was written to expressly try to solve the 6.4 problem, and clearly MP832353 handles all of the other cases for 7.1 and 9.0, thus they would be complementary if they both completely worked. I can only assume the author of the former is aware that the latter doesn't work for 6.4, or else why produce a patch for the only case needed? [The original, let's call that one KB832353 for clarity, is intended for all three cases, but won't work directly under 98SE, but does work manually using files within, but only for updating 7.1 or 9.0; the 6.4 case does not work. I would like to know if the original even works for ME in the specific case that applies: 6.4 and 7.0 and no upgrades would be the relevant ME configuration, since strictly the package only updates the highest version you have and only from 6.4, 7.1 and 9.0 while that ME configuration doesn't qualify as 7.1, only 7.0, thus would qualify for the 6.4 update, etc]

So, once more for the record:

KB832353 from MS hates 98SE, was written expressly for ME, and I want to know if it ever updates WMP 6.4 should the highest version from the set of only 6.4, 7.1, and 9.0 be 6.4, essentially an initial install and never updating 7.0 to 7.1 [which clearly wouldn't get updates because 7.1 is a prerequisite for the relevant part of the update].

KB832353 when unpacked can manually be used to update 7.1 and 9.0, but not 6.4, all of this from 98SE.

MP832353 was apparently written to at least allow usage from 98SE whether unpacked or not. Although it claims it handles all three WMP versions, it clearly doesn't work for 6.4. However it works perfectly fine for 7.1 and 9.0 thus eliminating the need for manual updates from the KB832353 version in 98SE, but still no solution for users of only 6.4. When you attempt to use it, there is some activity, but the file doesn't update

Q832353 clearly was written only to upgrade 6.4 only. This would make sense where both the KB and MP versions fail to accomplish this, at least from 98SE. When unpacked, it allows a successful install of the upgrade to 832353 level, but only manually. When used as packaged and executed normally, it issues a complaint message telling me I need to first install WMP6.4 even though I already have when I earlier installed IE6.0 SP1 with 6.4. I have also tried installing MPfull.exe over this to no avail. I can only conclude that it wasn't tested in 98SE or that it interacts badly there with IE6.0 SP1. If it can be made to work in 98SE at all, I would have to install MP6.4 before installing IE6.0 SP1, which I can try in my next overall install, but it is contrary to my typical install order, and I believe also anyone else's recommendations along these lines. Especially is this quirky in light of the manual usage that functions fine.

The need to fix this stems from the fact that there are further updates for the newer Media Player versions; you need not even apply 832353 for 9.0 since it is superseded by I believe several other updates, one even better than the others. However, for 6.4, this is the highest revision for this particular file, replacing 828026 which was known to be problematic thus MS wrote this update at all, etc.

cjl