Is DirectX 9 really necessary?

Marztabator

I read somewhere that apparently you shouldn't really bother installing it unless you have a DirectX9-compatible motherboard/soundcard/videocard/whatever.

I have an SB Live! sound card from three-four odd years back, and I have an NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 graphics card which I believe I've been using for either two or three years. My motherboard is most recent, an ASRock K7VT2 (to fit my Athlon XP 2000+ chip in), although a small part of it is somewhat busted (the floppy disk controller no longer works due to an accidental shortage a while back, so I disabled the internal floppy drive in the BIOS and am now using an external USB floppy drive) yet generally it's still functional. But that's just me going off-topic now... :)

With all this in mind, should I stick with 8.1 or go for the "latest flava" and whack in 9.0?

I don't know why the graphics industry is converging towards DirectX 9 these days. Previously, Video card makers and game designers preferred the OpenGL standard more than anything.

Now it seems that DirectX is gaining ground pretty fast.

I don't know why the graphics industry is converging towards DirectX 9 these days. Previously, Video card makers and game designers preferred the OpenGL standard more than anything.

Now it seems that DirectX is gaining ground pretty fast.

Guys, DirectX is a programming platform for games, it allows for some of the most advanced effects in gaming, its so advanced that many of the graphics cards made today are built with support for directX 9, in-fact without directx 9 the ATI cards would not perform as they should, so you see it is necessary to have DX9

I think all previous directx versions have been removed because of a recent security exploit that was discovered. Only a patch for DirectX 9.0a or installing DirectX 9.0b will fix this.

They also appear to have a patch for DirectX 8.1 users as well. :)

It appears I must not have been looking closely, as eventually I managed to find an NT version of DirectX 8.1b on Microsoft's joint. :rolleyes:

I believe DirectX is for more than just graphics

Very true, it is a whole group if technologies. DirectDraw, Direct3D, DirectSound, DirectInput, DirectPlay, maybe some others I'm forgetting. That's where the X comes from, like in algebra. :)