I want to switch 2k3 to XP with "xpconv.exe"

elgarfo

Hello,

i installed Win2k3, configured it for workstation use and it runs fine.

a few times i tried to switch my win2k3 to winxp (TweakNT/NTSwitch) but i had to restore my registry each time i tried.

a few days ago i stumbled over the xpconv.exe and the "Windows Server 2003 Optimize Tool". But they both say i shouldn't try switching because of the VLK.

is there a way to change a VLK installation into a "normal" installation?

or is it only the key which has to be changed?

hopefully waiting for answers ... :-)

greetings

garfield

i have been afraid of such an answer...

can you tell me what is the difference between Win2k3 VLK and "normal" Enterprise?

what might happen if i only change the key?

or might it even be possible to replace some installation files from my VLK-installation with files from the Enterprise Edition?

greetings

garfield

I don't think you can even replace the key. As per difference, there is NO difference between Retail or OEM and VLK except activation requirement.

Changing the key (even if it was possible) will not help, as installation CD has it's own signature on how to behave during install. If you open your setupp.ini file within i386 folder you will notice PID signature, what counts there are last 3 digits...

ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05

Pid=55034000

335 = Retail

270 = VLK

OEM = OEM

000 = Upgrade

I don't think you can even replace the key. As per difference, there is NO difference between Retail or OEM and VLK except activation requirement.

But if only this is the problem, why can't you swith your windows 2k3 to XP?

There are Corporate Version of WinXP out there, couldn't i switch to that?

btw: is there any site or document on the net, that explains what is happening when switching your windows?

greetings

garfield

VLK, Retail,OEM etc are detemined by the setup media files (OEMBIOS.*,setupp.ini,PIDGEN.DLL and "Product Type" key in txtsetup.sif,setupre.hiv)

once installed setup creates various confs in registry according to these

Tweaknt/NTswitch chages them

apparently "Windows Activation" check routine in winlogon verifies and locks these setting at every logon.

A VLK system need no activation, all others need that.

So converting VLK to any other need the system to be activated.

This checks by winlogon fails and u cannot logon.

To solve this either us a Retail version

or

a crack (ILLEGAL) to bypass winlogon check.

PS: TweakNT is considered as a Warez (MSFN W2K3 to workstation guide)

if xpconv also do the same it too.

@hougtimo: i tried to switch my win2k3 vlk to windows XP Pro using TweakNT, but after rebooting the system, there was this WPA-issue...

did you do anything special?

@innocent devil:

i would have used a retail version if i had one :-) but this is my problem. assuming that i find a crack, (i wouldn't even think of asking for one here) will it bring some disadvantages with it? (like not being able to use windows update anymore.)

@all:

wpa fails on startup, cause there is no activation data... but is there any way to activate my windows?

apparently "Windows Activation" check routine in winlogon verifies and locks these setting at every logon.

so the wpa-check-routines are different from those wpa-routines shipped with a system that needs to be activated?

if so: might it be possible the replace the winlogon with a winlogon from winxp(directly after switching/before reboot), or with a win2k3 retail one(and switch after rebooting[and activating?])?

greetings

garfield

Edited by elgarfo

Hi there

Have you looked using klasika's suggestion here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=82878#

although i always thought that the activation process itself was not in VLK software at all - thus meaning that even changing the registry / etc to alter it into a "retail" version would be pointless as the actual files etc would still be missing...

I don't believe there is any legal way here unfortunately.

Regards

Nath