Vista: How to set up a Microphone?

Zaskar44

The new sound controls are different in Vista, Espically the microphone ones.

How do you set it so that the microphone works when an application needs it, but doesnt always pick up sounds and play them out the speaker (like the old "what you hear" option did)

The microphone options are weird too, they only seem to take effect after a reboot. (like enabling "what you hear", "digital input" etc.) Im not seeing a normal option :( Since "what you hear".. sure it works but i never used that in XP because it always also played 24/7 out the speakers. if i used that id have to use the on/off switch on the microphone all the time :/

Im using a SB X-fi card and Creative drivers if that changes anything.

Thanks!

Edited by Zaskar44

Anyone else have any idea? Its is really annoying because i know there must be a way, and its just that I dont know how/Where to set it. I need to pretty much do what was posted right above me, but within the new completely different Vista control settings.

just like me (plus i need to set mic boost to ON, and turn mic volume up)

That i have done already. you go to sound settings and then the recording tab. right click the microphone and hit [properties. in the window that opens one of the tasbs will have vol control one of the others will let you set the +20db (or whatever :P) Boost. But I havent figured out how to set it so that it shuts the heck up and doesn't relay what its picking up 24/7 through the speakers.

Problem is thats usually controlled by the Speaker controls. and in Vista it seems while the mic has a very customizable interface, the speaker controls are governed by some Wizard and you cant select the finer settings anywhere :/

Its one of those things if not changed, i could totally see a 3rd party program comming out that gave you access manually to all the settings.

That i have done already. you go to sound settings and then the recording tab. right click the microphone and hit [properties. in the window that opens one of the tasbs will have vol control one of the others will let you set the +20db (or whatever :P) Boost. But I havent figured out how to set it so that it shuts the heck up and doesn't relay what its picking up 24/7 through the speakers.

Problem is thats usually controlled by the Speaker controls. and in Vista it seems while the mic has a very customizable interface, the speaker controls are governed by some Wizard and you cant select the finer settings anywhere :/

Its one of those things if not changed, i could totally see a 3rd party program comming out that gave you access manually to all the settings.

mm, if you are right, then TeamSpeack is not vista compatible, cause activating mic boost and maxing volume (or lvl or whatever its called) to the mx, had no efect, my teammates still claimed my volume was to low. :(

Odd :/ i thought it worked for me, even if you use the windows sound recorder you instantly hear the difference.

And why the heck was this moved to hardware? :P this is totally a vista question that no one outside the vista testing would know :P Move it back ><

That i have done already. you go to sound settings and then the recording tab. right click the microphone and hit [properties. in the window that opens one of the tasbs will have vol control one of the others will let you set the +20db (or whatever :P) Boost.

I need to turn on the +20db boost for my microphone also, because without that the microphone is pretty much useless and I am unable to use Skype etc for a decent conversation. But, personally I have been unable to find any way to turn on the +20db boost for the mic in Vista. This is in fact one of the major reasons, amongst quite a few others, why I am not using Vista as my primary OS yet.

PS: I have the MSI K8N Diamond Plus motherboard which has the Creative Audigy sound on-board. Vista by default did not install any drivers for the sound but I was able to install my original Windows XP Creative drivers that came with the motherboard to make the sound work. But the problem is, no +20db boost for the microphone :(