catalyst rc1 driver

dAbReAkA

• 3 weeks later...

MS hasn't supported OpenGL in its past products and I don't think you will see it in Vista either. It will probably be up to the card manufacturer to provide some sort of opengl driver/support. Right now the ATI beta drivers don't support opengl and might not in the future.

Note: The following ATI features are not supported in the Catalyst® Vista RC1 driver for the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system:

· CrossFire™

· Catalyst® Control Center Video aspect page

· OpenGL

from the release notes

they have no opengl and crossfire support and they say that on the release notes.. having no crossfire support till vista final will kill them.. they will 100% implement that feature.. IMO, they will implement opengl support too.. let's hope that happens soon :)

• 3 weeks later...

At the time of writing the RC1 drivers ATi didn't have the code from Microsoft to properly implement OpenGL. My understanding is that OpenGL has to go through DirectX to get used properly, and that means that it's entirely up to the video card manufacturers to properly implement OpenGL...

As for Crossfire support, considering it's ATi's version of SLi I expect it to be enabled within the next release of their drivers, as I also expect OpenGL to be released at the same time.

I also suspect the RC2 drivers will be released by the end of the week...

I am no grounds for making that guess beyond that ATi was pretty quick to release their RC1 drivers, so I figure RC2 should be about as quick....

I doubt that not having Crossfire in their driver set until RTM will "kill" them, and considering that ATI's FireGL product is going to run on Vista, I think it will be safe to expect OpenGL support for ATI products in Vista at launch.

Edited by cluberti

there are several months till the massive release.. they definitely need opengl and crossfire support around january - which they will probably have..

will a user buy an OS under which he cant use both his video cards? why did he pay for both? why did he pay so much for the OS?

• 4 weeks later...

hrmm i thought nvida had opengl support for ages in their drivers? was expecting the new ati ones to have it :(

although saying that, these drivers are much better, games seem to run a lot smoother, well, i've only tried halo but i can finally run it with the same settings i did in xp and now its smooth :) before i had to turn down the resolution