WMP 10 Shortcut

ebin25

this may be a rediculously stupid question, but whats the easies way to delete the WMP shortcut from start menu/all programs? I am getting ready to test a new install via vmware, and I would like to begin testing now.

Edited by ebin25

worked like a charm.... thanks

EDIT: actually, this worked fine whil I was running the os, I tried executing this .cmd from cmdlines.txt. and guirunonce. In both cases, the shortcut was still there. My exact .cmd is

cmdow @ /hid

del "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk" >nul

EXIT

Edited by ebin25

I ahve also tried

del "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk" >nul

AND

del "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\ADMIN\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk" >nul

"ADMIN" is my renamed ADMINISTRATOR account.

I have tried calling .cmd file from both guirunonce and command.txt

I dont understand.... ALL .cmd files work great as long as windows has booted, but they dont work in a preinstall enviornment.

Edited by ebin25

ok... maybe this will work. Both files are in $OEM$

cmdlines.txt:

[Commands]
"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,nLiteReg"
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

RunOnceEx.cmd:

cmdow @ /hid

EXIT

Will this correct my problem? Sorry, I have never used runoncex b4.

OR do i need to edit my winnt.sif

RunOnceEx

cmdow @ /HID

EXIT

Edited by ebin25

This particular shortcut is being created after 1st logon. Upon 1st logon you'll see a message box telling you windows is setting up 'personalized settings' for IE , Outlook Express, etc. This is when the shortcut is created. To be able to delete it you'll need an extra reboot after runonceex has done its thing. Try using a self extracting EXE to place a *.cmd file into your 'startup' folder which will delete the shortcut and then also delete itself. To delete itself, make the last entry in the cmd file read: del %0

shark

$OEM$\$DOCS\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\del.cmd

del.cmd reads:

@echo off

del "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment\Windows Media Player.lnk"
del "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Update.lnk" >nul
rem del myself
DEL /Q /F %0

but, what about when adding new users?

$OEM$\$DOCS\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\del.cmd
exactly what part of this will be in the startup folder after the 2nd reboot?

self quote

To be able to delete it you'll need an extra reboot after runonceex has done its thing.

you need to get the cmd file placed there so it is executed on 2nd boot.

shark

this project has led to much more than I anticipated. I now have a runonceex.cmd installing winamp (stealing the audio file associations from WMP10 :thumbup... my cmdlines.txt integrates reg tweaks, and a few other .cmds.

I am happy to have learned that svcpack.ini, or $OEM$/$1/Install batch script methods are not the best method for installing many apps. Why copy files to your hard drive, extract them, then install them... when they can be left on the cd for extraction?!?

However, I am still stuck on the stupid del.cmd (which I have modified to remove other shortcuts)

@echo off

DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Windows Update.lnk"
del "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook Express.lnk" >nul
del "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment\Windows Media Player.lnk" >nul
del "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Remote Assistance.lnk" >nul
rem del myself
DEL /Q /F %0

this code works for my account, but i would like for the same code to be implemented when creating new users. I suppose if I am to stick with this method, I will have to remove

rem del myself
DEL /Q /F %0

thus running at every startup. This is definately not the route I intend to take.

Until I come up with a better method for deleting these shortcuts, I am open for further suggestions.

Edited by ebin25

I am happy to have learned that svcpack.inf, or $OEM$\$1\Install batch script methods are not the best method for installing many apps. Why copy files to your hard drive, extract them, then install them... when they can be left on the cd for extraction?!? ...

... I will have to remove

rem del myself

DEL /Q /F %0

I install WMP from SVCPACK and I'm able to delete or add shortcuts from there without problems.

This sticks to any user account on my machine.

And then I don't need DEL %0 because a CMD executed from SVCPACK will be deleted by itself.

I am happy to have learned that svcpack.inf, or $OEM$\$1\Install batch script methods are not the best method for installing many apps. Why copy files to your hard drive, extract them, then install them... when they can be left on the cd for extraction?!? ...

... I will have to remove

rem del myself

DEL /Q /F %0

I install WMP from SVCPACK and I'm able to delete or add shortcuts from there without problems.

This sticks to any user account on my machine.

And then I don't need DEL %0 because a CMD executed from SVCPACK will be deleted by itself.

do you mind sharing how you do it?

Well!

First: Some points about SVCPACK.

Why copy files to your hard drive, extract them, then install them...

Yes, that's how SVCPACK method works.

Because SVCPACK.INF is executed from HDD not from a CD-ROM,

files listed in SVCPACK.INF get copied to your HDD, first.

This is where SVCPACK folder and its contents copied to:

X:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\SVCPACK\blabla

Workaround:

Create a CMD to set a temporary %CDROM% variable.

Let it launch WMP setup from your CD. (start /wait %CDROM%\Install\WMP10.exe /YourSwitches)

Put that CMD in your SVCPACK folder. (.\i386\SVCPACK\MY.CMD)

List That CMD in your SVCPACK.INF!

It's always recommended that WMP be set up first (prior to other apps).

That's it.

Also, no need to (DEL %0) because the whole directory of X:\$WIN_NT$.~LS,

along with its contents, will be deleted automatically by Windows SETUP.

Second: Repackaging WMP setup files.

This step is not obligatory in any way.

You can, just, use the original exe to set up WMP without any problems.

Use these switches in your CMD:

start /wait %CDROM%\Install\WMP10\WMP10.exe /C:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore"

But, I just extract the original exe then re-compress extracted files in a SFX,

with these arguments:

Setup=setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore

TempMode

Silent=1

Overwrite=1

You can, then, run WMP setup with: start /wait %CDROM%\Install\WMP10\WMP10.exe

Third: Tweaking WMP and deleting shortcuts.

As I mentioned earlier, I install WMP prior to other apps.

After all other apps finishes their installation,

my CMD runs WMP10.reg then executes thses commands:

If not exist "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Windows Media Player.lnk" move "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk" "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\*.*" >NUL

If exist "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk" del "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk" >NUL

If exist "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment\Windows Media Player.lnk" del "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment\Windows Media Player.lnk" >NUL

Finally.

I'm telling how I've been doing it.

If, for any reason, this doesn't work for you; it's not my problem.

However, I should say that all reg tweaks applied for WMP

under SVCPACK stick for any user account. So do the shortcuts.

Also, I'm using the SVCPACK method normally, that is; WMP10.exe is in SVCPACK folder.

This means that I don't add WMP setup to my CMD, you know.

Additionally, Windows Media Player Associations work per machine.

You won't have to apply them for each user, individually.

But, Windows Media Player ToolBar works per User.

You will have to apply it for each user, individually; unless there's a reg tweak to apply it while under SVCPACK. Then, it could work for any user.

Anyone knows a reg tweak for Windows Media Player ToolBar?

Edited by mazin

Mazin, I know that svcpack.ini is a great way to install a lot of apps. But, until yesterday, this and $OEM$/$1/Install methods were the only ones I would (knew how to) use. The Runoncex method seems so much more logical when installing , i dunno, say 1/2 a dvds worth of (third party) applications.

I was using RyanVMs WMP10_addon, but I will get working on your method asap. It is somewhat frustrating to have to rebuild my ALMOST perfected installation. But, then again, thats what we do... add monthly updates to our xpcd, update the switchless installers as new releases come out, and then.. KABLAM... Vista will be out. We begin the process all over again... and when its all said and done, it probably would have been easier just to install our apps and updates like any "normal" person. We enjoy planting a seed rather than just buying the fruit.