Can't get Windows Media Player 10 to install unattended

Ctrl-X

I can't get Windows Media Player 10 to install unattended, despite having followed the instructions in the Unattended Windows guide (I think :(). Here's what I do:

RunOnceEx.cmd:

reg add %KEY%\045 /ve /d "Windows Media Player 10"
reg add %KEY%\045 /v 1 /d "%windir%\regedit.exe /s %SystemDrive%\Install\WMP10\MP10.reg"
reg add %KEY%\045 /v 2 /d "%SystemDrive%\Install\WMP10\MP10Setup.exe /q:a /r:n /c:\"setup_wm.exe /q /r:n /DisallowSystemRestore\""

MP10.reg contains the following settings I collected from various topics in these forums:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedPrivacyStatement"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedPrivacyStatement"=dword:00000001
"FirstRun"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedEULA"=dword:00000001

Yet still the EULA is displayed before the installation starts :angry: After clicking "I Accept" the installation runs automatically, but when it is finished, WMP 10 starts and asks if I want to add files to the library, which is obviously unwanted in a "silent" installation. I have tried various switch combinations (/q or /q:a, /NoMigrate) to no avail. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Edited by Ctrl-X

Slipstreaming is probably going to be your best bet. Check out this link for more information:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=45917

Thanks for the suggestion; I will look into that if all else fails ;)

Or you may want to apply the attached reg file.

At first glance this appears to be a bit overkill, but I'll give it a go :thumbup

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsMediaPlayer]

"GroupPrivacyAcceptance"=dword:00000001

Miss this one i think... cheers

We set that one through Group Policy B)

Check out this page WMP Silent Install. They use IExpress to repackage the install (I didn't know about this tool, but its nice). I followed these directions and it worked perfectly. The reg tweaks file listed on the page is very extensive, but at least you'll know all the possible keys to change.

Thanks for the suggestion! However all they do is unpack the original setup, change the install command to:

setup_wm.exe /DisallowSystemRestore /Q:A /R:N

... and then repack the setup using IExpress. All this can be done in one line without un- and repacking:

MP10Setup.exe /Q:A /R:N /C:"setup_wm.exe /DisallowSystemRestore /Q:A /R:N"

... which is exactly what I'm doing!

According to the article the registry tweaks aren't going to help because they get applied after the installation. I thing I'm going to try installing WMP10 from cmdlines.txt and see what happens...

I realize it can be done the way you are trying. I repackage because I prefer to keep my install packages as small as possible.

I don't know if it will make a difference, but your setup_wm.exe /q switch is different from the one posted on the site. Perhaps changing it to /q:a will work?

reg add %KEY%\045 /v 2 /d "%SystemDrive%\Install\WMP10\MP10Setup.exe /q:a /r:n /c:\"setup_wm.exe /q:a /r:n /DisallowSystemRestore\""

Edited by zorphnog

@ Ctrl-X

Strange!

I've used the same switches of yours (1st post) to install WMP10 at T-13.

I apply the reg tweaks after installing WMP10, not before.

It's installed just fine.

The only difference in code is that I added /NoPID to the switches.

FYI, I'm always using the same routine for WMP9, 10, and 11.