How do I know what kind of graphics card my comp has?

Fluttergirl

Thanks for bearing with me.. I am a newbie,and am completely lost. My intro has an in-depth explanation of whats going on with my computer..

I am viwing everything in 16bit color.. its driving me crazy.. The settings on DISPLAY are only 2 colort or 16 bit. I need to update it I guess, but have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance!

well, the easiest way to find out what card is in your computer is...

Right click on my computer ---> properties ---> hardware tab ---> click the + next to "Display Adapters" then it should tell you what it is. if it says "standard vga" then you have a problem. the driver may not be loaded.

try that, then post back if you could.

oh , and welcome to the forums!

Umm.. not sure if this is relevant, but I was clicking around in the device manager, and it says when you click on the + next to standard PCI graphics adapter (VGA) NEC Multisync 70.. I know thats the monitor brand and model we have..

As far as the Chipset.. Can you be a little more specific about what it should say? As I have been looking, but I am not sure what it would say... :huh: Thanks in advance.

-- Does anyone know if there's any free updates still available? Or if there's any upgrades I can do to just get rid of 98se? Just looking for whatever would be easiest.. :}

is the computer a name brand or is it a clone (one that was built from different parts) if its a brand name, give us the model and company name if you could. that could really help us out.

i just thought of something else you can try.

boot the computer in safe mode (pressing F8 before the Windows boot logo comes up then choosing safe mode from the list) then, when its in safe mode, right click on my computer, goto properties, hardware tab, click the + again next to display adapters, remove the standard pci graphics adapter by right clicking on it then clicking remove.

reboot the computer normally then let it find the new hardware.

my assumption is that windows already had the driver's loaded for the card, so they have to be on the drive still. it should load it up, it may ask your for the 98 se cd too.

Device manager is worthless for finding drivers..

Here, try "Unknown Devices" http://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/

Then google the info you find to look for a proper driver..

Just playing with my new device tool.Thanks a lot. It list things Device Manager doesn't

Any way i can make it default when i right click my computer

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Just playing with my new device tool.Thanks a lot. It list things Device Manager doesn't

Yeah, I dont think it hides any devices like the device manager does by default..

Any way i can make it default when i right click my computer

You might be able to add a contextual menu item to "My Computer" for it.. Do a search in this forum for hot to add custom menu items..

Device manager is worthless for finding drivers..

Here, try "Unknown Devices" http://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/

Then google the info you find to look for a proper driver..

I try DLing it and it asks me what I want to open it with (what program).. How do I know what to open it with?

Sorry I haven't answered anyone's post in a few.. Everytime I start up my computer, a grey box pops up and opens a C:// file list.. I have no idea why its coming up everytime we start.

My computer was an "A-Open".. after the surges fried most of the components we put my hard drive and cd drives in a computer my friend gave us. We used her A-drive. Bought a new ethernet card. The logo on this computer tower says 21 Computech. not sure if that's what you were asking.. I guess its a clone?

I no longer have my win98SE startup disk.. we had the ME startup, but after the gliches we installed win98se, and it worked for years until it crashed about two years ago. Then we have had nothing but problems since. My toddler scratched the 98se disk we had kept.. not sure if there's another copy, but if we did, its in a box in the garage somewhere..

---Does anyone know where I can re-intall it WITHOUT a disk?? Is there a link or a program that can repair it?? I have noticed many service packs and everything, but I am not sure if any thing will help my situation...

Thanks in advance.

unfortuneatly, your out of luck. you'll need to obtain a disc with 98. you cant download it as that is considered warez. you can get one cheap from ebay or an older computer store. they may have one somewhere.

the service packs are just updates for windows 98, i highly doubt that can be helpful here, but its worth a shot. your stuck anyway.