Dell Latitude D400 power up

Jim624

Just got the D400 from a friend...he had lost the power adapter so I purchased one....supposedly the correct one. I plugged it into the laptop (while it was on Battery) and the whole thing went blank.....no power at all. Unplugged everything waited for awhile and tried to power up with only the battery (which was fully charged).......nothin', not a **** thing. My question is this is the power supply internally part of the MB....if so does that mean the MB is shot and I might as well butcher this one for parts ???

to my knowledge, laptops do have a built in adapter plug. i wouldn't say its dead and butcher it yet, try using the AC power supply only and see if that works, and then try just the battery and see if that works. if the battery works, it just means that the AC adapter piece may be loose, the contact may not be good, or something could be touching it causing the bad short circuit.

that is a strange situation. its running up on 12:17AM, and im gonna head off to bed, but tomorrow i'll look into how the power supplies work, and i might be able to give a more solid answer. im a dump diver myself, so i hate working too fast and finding out i shouldn't have done something, so i'd say just hang tight with the laptop right now, look into it a little bit, maybe a computer store would be able to take a look at it at least, its a terrible thing to scrap, and theres no harm in at least getting it looked at, maybe it can be fixed, maybe it can't.

ya i really have no clue whats up with laptop psu's. ive opened up my laptop before and i didnt see any sort of power supply crap, but there was a buzzing sound somewhere on the mobo when it was plugged in. so i guess while you have it plugged in, try to listen for a very little humming sound when its plugged in.

usually, a laptop will have an external power brick. thats the actual power supply. my dell laptop's both use external bricks, but i have a compaq armada 1700 with the adapter inside of the computer.

you may have put too much power right to the board and damaged a component. your best bet is to take the computer all apart and see if theres any blown up components.

usually, a laptop will have an external power brick. thats the actual power supply. my dell laptop's both use external bricks, but i have a compaq armada 1700 with the adapter inside of the computer.

you may have put too much power right to the board and damaged a component. your best bet is to take the computer all apart and see if theres any blown up components.

ya thats what i thought but i wasnt too sure about that "brick". and opening it up may be your only choice. if no bower is going thru the battery or the plug then most likely something is fried.

also, there may be a damaged component on the board. i mean a little plug may have let go. my dads dell cpi did that. the original ownerhad dropped it or something and when we got it, trying to turn it on didnt result in much. it would just sit there and not do anything when pluggin it in or trying to turn it on. even the battery wouldn't charge. my dad opened it up and found the plug broken off the board. he re-soldered it back on and its been fine ever since.

this computers battery was fully charged and it wouldnt start either. nor on a/c power. just sat there. if you pressed on the q key on the keyboard, and held it long enough, it would boot, then you could let go and it would be alright. but some systems would start to shutdown then it would eventually just shut off or give you a protection error.

open the computer and see if theres any components actually missing from the board. the plug on this one had to have like 100 connectors on it.