Hp zv6066 laptop won't boot

daedalus123

Hiyas

I recently bought a Microsoft IntelliMouse, plugged it in and a few minutes later WindowsXp froze, I rebooted and now the laptop won't boot at all.

I restarted and restarted and sometimes it boots up ok, even Windows starts, but most of the time it doesn't boot at all. The few times it has started I checked the USB port and it appears to be broken.

Since it sometimes boots, I figure that RAM and CPU must be alright, but maybe the motherboard is broken?

The warrantys last day was 10th June -05 :realmad:

Any ideas? What does a new motherboard cost?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by daedalus123

what do you mean the port is broken? is it physically damaged? if so, that might be the problem. it might be shorting out and the mobo might be preventing it from starting up to prevent damage.

i blew up a laptop doing that :blushing:

Well, by port being broken I mean that it doesn't function at all. There is no physical damage to it. I tried memorysticks and another mouse, but Windows doesn't find anything. I've tested the sticks and the mouse in another machine so I know they work.

np ;) i hope it doesnt cost much either.

i couldn't get my 9 year old laptop fixed, hp just said "buy a new computer" then that was it. i was irritated yes, but it was my fault so i couldn't do much.

Definitely shorted out the USB controller and damaged some other circuitry on the mobo.

Next time, ensure the port and plug are both clean, and insert it straight and in one continuous motion.

Just thought I'd tell you how it went...

Well, since the warranty was gone I grabbe the nearest screwdriver and poped the case open -> huge amounts of dust inside :whistle: , then I removed the heatsink from the CPU and found only a small amount of the white stuff left (don't know what it's called in english), and it was just around the edges of the CPU and there was dust in the middle inbetween the CPU and the heatsink!

I cleaned the whole thing, put new 'white stuff' and screwed the whole thing together and YAY the laptop started, I rebooted 10 times and every time it started. :thumbup

About the USB port: a little piece of metal from the external montor port was bend on to the USB port and had propably shorted it out, just bent it back and the port is alive again. :thumbup

You have no idea how happy I am to have it working again and not having to spend €€ to fix it...

Thanks for your help :D