Problems with viper v330 and direct3d

M_win

Alright, so I have had a diamond viper v330 in a pc for a while now(for those who don't know, it's a 100 mhz clocked riva 128) and using it under windows 98. it worked fine. uder dxdiag, directdraw, direct3d, and agp texture acceleration.(same thing with a motherboard that has an integrated riva 128 zx)

Anyways, I had to upgrade the computer to xp many things I use it for are supporting 98 fewer and fewer.

I tried using a few 3d apps and they didnt work. so I checked dxdiag and both direct3d and agp acceleration were disabled. I couldn't enable them on either video thing.

So i did a web search and for the first 200 or so pages on google I got no answer (as I see the other people on other forums never got an answer :( wonder if they solved their problem)

I tried upgrading my driver but on both nvidia's site and diamond's site, the latest ones were for 98 and were included in 2000.

please, somone if anyone, knows what the problem is?

thanks in advance

well i believe i had the same problem with my brothers in laws computer and nvidias unified driver worked for me.. dont ask why. but the onlder series like the 6xx or 7xx maybe? i dont remember if that was the exact card but i think it was.. give it a whirl see wut happens b/c teh viper under windows xp is usually detected and a riva 128. atleast in my case it was.. but see wut happens :hello:

Edited by Beppe

@ RIPKEN,

Don’t tell people to put an AGP8x card in an AGP 1x/2x slot, it will not fit and if it fits it will burn out.

@MagicAndre1981

Windows Xp has the drivers build in as far as I know, but i could be wrong, only I saw beta drivers of those RIVA 128 cards, same for S3 Trio(64) with the same age... So I think you are right

@M_win

To be safe you better buy a PCI card or a 3.3volt AGP card...

...phew, just in time ;):P

• 2 weeks later...
@ RIPKEN,

Don’t tell people to put an AGP8x card in an AGP 1x/2x slot, it will not fit and if it fits it will burn out.

Well I actually have an AGP PRO 4x slot which seems to work with everything i had tried yet. I used to have an ATI All in Wonder radeon, never could figure out what went wrong with it.

@MagicAndre1981

Windows Xp has the drivers build in as far as I know, but i could be wrong, only I saw beta drivers of those RIVA 128 cards, same for S3 Trio(64) with the same age... So I think you are right

I tested a few different drivers. the unified drivers start thier support line at riva 128 TNT. oh well...

@M_win

To be safe you better buy a PCI card or a 3.3volt AGP card...

I tested the card in a few other motherboards. A few were proprietary (including the micron from where I got this card) I tried an abit board. Then tried my asus a7v133 board. I always tried pci cards in it before but they never worked. (probably because they were all s3 cards, 7 of them being ViRGE)

To my surprise it works!

so now my I have an amd athlon is clocked at about 1.5 ghz running at 117 F degrees, and windows 98 boots up in 9 seconds.

...phew, just in time ;):P

Not to worry. I wont be buying any parts... soon. I dont like to show off with great graphics, and fast times so I only upgrade when I absolutely have to.

So my guess from this isn't the driver support for the video card, it's the driver support for the motherboard, chipset, and AGP bridge. Just to let anyone curious know...

AGP 4x pro also is 3.3v, well, try to put in an AGP 8x and see how long it works ;).

EDIT: i tried it before, worked good for months with some cards, later blownup caps and replaced them, the voltage regulators algo get too hot...

Edited by puntoMX