help me with networking...10q

Bretenn

If you haven't AD there, AaronXp's solution is good. When you has AD with server to be PDC, you have to have another server with SUS, and solution above become too expensive for you. But AD allows you to deploy already prepared patches by Global Policy Objects.

abit complicated for me.... mayb a bit more details or some other simple solution?? i dont mind if i t take longer to apply or watever as long as i been able to control using a server to send those files to those pcs.... 10s for reply

A more simple solution would be to place the patches on a server, and create a batch file to run on each of the client computers that installs the patches from the sever over the network. Thats the way i'd do it.

If you need help with the batch file just ask.

Youd have to place the hotfixes in a directory on the server.

Use the net use command to logon to the server

then either copy all the batches to the local hard drive and delete them later, or run them directly from the server.

Ill do a little research, and write out the commands more specifically.

Just one question. Are you using a Domain ?

If your not using a domain, then the batch file is easy.

@Echo Off
Echo ===================================
Echo =   This batch file will install  =
Echo = Windows XP Hotfixes and updates =
Echo = =================================
Echo.
Echo If you wish to exit, press Ctrl+C now.
Echo.
PAUSE
net use v: \\server\hotfixes
V:
Echo. Installing Q123456 Hotfix
Echo. Please Wait...
start /wait q123456.exe /switches
C:
net use v: /delete

Explanation:

The first few lines are straightforward. Just telling the user whats going to happen.

PAUSE

This command makes the Press any key to continue... prompt appear.

Simply a precaution incase you accadently double click the batch, or dont wish to continue for whatever reason.

net use v: \\server\hotfixes

this line maps a drive (in this case v:) to a shared folder on the server. (ie hotfixes directory, on the server named, funny enough "server")

This mapped drive now acts like any normal drive on the local computer. you can make directorys, remove files etc on the servers directory, from your local computer if you wish (and if server permissions allow)

v:

switches to the V:

From then on, its just a matter of executing each hotfix with the correct switches. Exactly the same as the batch file made for the CD.

At the end you switch back to the C: and remove the mapped v:

Just make the batch, whack it on a floppy, take it around to each of your computers and your away.

If you are using a domain, let me know, ill explain how to login to the domain etc.

Hope it helps! :)

hmm.... seems like very complicated to me....

1) ok let say i have a server name Server and workstations name "client A to client Z"

if i just want to send a file and overwrite it to the current client A and B and C.... is it possible?

2) i have patch file name abc.exe and want to apply to certain client (same as question 1.... eg- client a,b,c).

how would the batch file looks like? like the above batch code that u post?

thanks for ur reply and help....

It depends what you want to do.

If you want to install files off your server, then it would look identical.

It would work for any client PC, just as long as you place the server name in the correct spot and you correctly type the shard directory of the files on the server that you wish to execute.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume so. All you'll have to do is find out the dos name and switches for each program.

To test it out, go to start --> run --> and type what you find in there. If it starts defragging/scan disking, then thats the command you're looking for :)

how if i want to execute the batch file from the server?

if i use the "net use..." and then call the defrag.exe (or start the defrag.exe, it will only use that file and then defrag my server and not the client. is it possible to make a batch file to execute client pc batch file?

thanks for ur help....