Windows XP Unattended Essentials.

As long as you are adding .NET 2.0, laze, how about .NET 1.1? It's my understanding that 2.0 does not superceed 1.1, that you need both for different apps. Check me on that.

Absolutely correct. You may even need version 1.0, although most applications that require it will run on version 1.1. But version 2.0 is a whole new beast, so it's generally a good idea to install both 1.1 and 2.0.

• 1 month later...

From my opinition, here is what cannot be left behind in a Unattended XP CD:

Adobe Reader (i really don´t see any difference between the lastest 7.08 version from the older ones. I only use it to read PDF files anyway, so you might wanna choose the latest 6.x version)

CCleaner 1.34.407 - Basic (with no Yahoo toolbar)

Adobe Flash Player 9.0.16.0

Adobe Shockwave Player 10.1.4.020

Ascentive Library Files (a collection of DLL and OCX files that you give you the most common used library files for programas that need it, like Notepad Pro or others created with VB and so on...)

A download Manager (i recommend FlashGet 1.73)

Java Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

MemTurbo 4.0.657.307 (a very nice program, few resources on RAM, unlike any other memory manager i´ve ever seen)

Nero 6.6.1.4 (if you prefeer, use the verion 7, but i think it is useless.

Notepad ++ 3.9 (the best notepad you will ever find. I make all my Web Pages entirelly with it)

Firefox 2.0 (this is a matter of opinion. If you like it, use MS Internet Explorer)

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.0.303 (considered on VirusBulletin.com the best AV program of the World. Updates every day, less resources than NOD32, Avast, McAfee and specially Norton)

eMule Plus 1.2 (if you have broadband)

Soulseek or Kazza (if you have slow connections)

ICQ (Lite 5.1 build 300 or Pro 2003b. The last one uses less resources on ram)

mIRC 6.2

Windows Live Messenger 8.0.0812

GoogleTalk (only if you have a Gmail account)

Irfan View 3.98 + Plugins + Barbex Explorer Shell extension (you won´t need any other Image Viewer)

Winamp 5.3

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (the best codec pack available. Comes with Media Player Classic, for me, the best media player ever. Don´t forget to install this codec pack AFTER Winamp, or winamp will "steal" the file associations)

XPize (a little bit of beauty in you OS)

TweakUI

Bluetack's Hosts Manager (only if you have broadband. I have 56K, and my connection Stops when i use their hosts file. Still don´t know why)

Is you are gonna use Firefox, these extensions are essencials:

- Mouse Gestures

- Flashgot (if you´re gonna use a Download Manager)

- GreaseMonkey (very supporte extensions, with millions if scripts for it)

- FasterFox

After the install is finished, you might wanna use some registry tweaks. I´m developing a Collection of RegTweaks (currently in v0.2), witch have many tweaks to improve performance and stability for you XP.

Consider as well to make final adjustments for programs, like removind ICQ and Windows Live Messenger Banners to not suck up your connection, export you preferences to other softwares, like winamp, soulseek.

For a defragmentation program, i do not recommend Diskeeper. It starts a service with windows, and since it is a program that you are going to use once in a while (when you fell your disk need a defrag), its a waste of resources to keep Diskeeper Installed. Try Contig from Systernal Software, and use Power Defragmenter, witch is a GUI interface for Contig, or even Ultimate Defrag, from Disktrix. I´ve used almost every defragmenter software available on the net, and i´m useing Contig + Power Drefragmenter to defrag my Disks. I even put both on $$ folder under $OEM$´s folder, to be copied to the system root, so i can run it from command prompt only typing PowerDefrag.

And last, create your own cleaup.cmd file, to clean shortcuts and unused stuff that might stay on the disk and slow you booting, like desktop tray shortcuts.

Other programs that i include in my unattended install, but do not consider "essentials", are:

Fast Folder Access 1.8

Filezilla

Exact Audio Copy 0.94b + Lame 3.90.3 (using UberStandart definitions)

Now it´s your choice. Pick many programs from one category and test them. You will ending up finding the one you like the best.

Hope it helped someway.

Cheers.

gugutz.

QuickTime Alternative

Real Alternative

Storm Codec 5

For a truly fantastic HOSTS file head to:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

For an excellent Startup CPL extension go to:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Download the CPL version, you can compress it with UPX if you like (I did). I advise simply extracting it and putting the .CPL file directly into %SystemRoot%\System32 (it does not need to be "installed" as it's a .cpl file). And then put this into a .REG file if you use the category-view in Control Panel:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Extended Properties\{305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2]
"%SystemRoot%\\system32\\startup.cpl"=dword:00000005

* FavOrg

* DVD Decrypter + ImgBurn

REG DELETE "HKCR\.cdr\Shell\Burn using DVD Decrypter" /F
REG DELETE "HKCR\.dvd\Shell\Burn using DVD Decrypter" /F
REG DELETE "HKCR\.img\Shell\Burn using DVD Decrypter" /F
REG DELETE "HKCR\.iso\Shell\Burn using DVD Decrypter" /F
REG DELETE "HKCR\.mds\Shell\Burn using DVD Decrypter" /F

Add that to leave only Burn using ImgBurn when doing silent installs...

Hi gugutz,

Thanks for your reply, you clearly spent a long time composing it!

You make some valid suggestions, but 90% of them fall outside the definition of what i consider to be 'essential' or are already on the list.

Ascentive Library Files is something i have never heard of, but i think it qualifies!

laze.

hi, Plamdi.

have you ever heard of B.I.I.S?

it´s a forum for internet security that have their own hosts file.

i checked out the site you recommended for HOSTS file, and they have 12500 entries on theirs.

Bluetack (B.I.I.S) have 69966 entries for unwanted and malicious site, and their own HOSTS managers, a really great program witch download the hosts file directly from Bluetack´s server and installs it on you machine.

Go to www.blutack.co.uk and see ir for yourself. You might like it, like i did. They have even a Blocklist Manager program, and they host a blocklist on their servers too.

Just do not forget to disable your DNS Client service, ´cause Win2K and XP have a bug dealing with HOSTS files larger than 135 kb. It will slow down your machine if you don´t disable this service.

Hope it helped.

gugutz

Edited by gugutz

Hi Plamdi,

All codecs will hopefully be covered in whatever codec pack we eventually decide on, StartupCPL seems like an extremely useful little tool! I'd almost classify it as an essential... actually why not, it's my list :-P.

Secondly the host-file you linked to seems great, i'm not sure if gugutz suggestion supersedes it or not.

Thanks for your replies guys.

laze.

Edited by just_laze

just to finalize.

If you are going to use the HOSTS file, i sugest you to use Bluetack´s. I even checked it out, and they released a new version of the file more recently than the site Plamdi sent the link (Oct 13)

but this is not the case.

The case is, if you are going to use the HOSTS file AND Firefox, Firefox has a bug (at least it had it on 1.5 versions) that it waits for the image of the blocked AD to appear, and keeps there, waiting.

To solve that, download eDexter.

eDexter is a software from Pyranean that replace the images from ADs you block with your hosts file with images localy placed on you computer. You can even make personalized imagesn, like i did. :P

good luck.

Greetings.

gugutz

hi, Plamdi.

have you ever heard of B.I.I.S?

it´s a forum for internet security that have their own hosts file.

No I haven't, but thanks for the tip I'll look into it. Incidently, I had to google search, the correct domain is http://www.bluetack.co.uk and it's B.I.S.S. (I had to google for "B.I.S.S." to find it).

Just a note of interest, there is a direct link and mention of the MVPS maintained Hostfile (the one I linked to) here: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php...E=02&qid=16

Edited by Plamdi