wpi.log, return code explanation?

I was just browsing my wpi.log to check if everything went ok, most "returned codes" were 0 or -1, but with 1 .regfile i saw the following return code:

-----

donderdag 10 augustus 2006 19:40:23
Program: Add Open with Notepad
UID: ADDNOTEPAD
Order: 900003
Category: Shortcuts & Cleanup
donderdag 10 augustus 2006 19:40:25
Reg Before Success (returned code -1073741502): "RegEdit /S D:\SETUP\WPI\registry\ennotepadrightclick.reg"
donderdag 10 augustus 2006 19:40:25
Finished installation

could anybody explain me what this return code means?

Edited by TRuLLi

My guess is that its a return code of one of your entries in the regfile, but I don't know. Regedit is really more of a GUI editing tool, and does not return any sensible codes. It would probably be better to use reg.exe instead of regedit.exe. Reg.exe is a ms-dos based tool returns 0 for success and 1 for failure.

Try something like:

reg import "%wpipath%\registry\ennotepadrightclick.reg"

Reg.exe comes builtin with WinXP Pro and Win2k3 Server, for Win2k it

is available in this package:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downl...pporttools.mspx

Well I wouldn't say that the code is irregular or necessarily bad. It could be anything: a warning, an uninitiated integer, who knows. My point about reg.exe is that it sends either success or failure and nothing in between. Have you looked to see if the reg entries imported correctly?

then i'd say you suggest that the next version of wpi uses reg.exe instead of regedit /S ;)

no, i haven't looked into it yet, got a strange bug in my wpi. had no time to look into it yet, but after it adds this registry value (it's noting irregular in there), it suddenly reboots. dunno what the cause of this is yet..

Made a note of reg.exe. Just may have to switch.

Mark, beware that as noted above, reg.exe is not included in W2K. So it will have to be clear for those users that they have to download it.