Creating a tiny as possible nlited xp pro cd

xboxhaxorz

I want to have a small as possible xp pro cd, while keeping basic functionality as per a normal user. I can remove uneeded and useless programs and features that just take up space and will never be used. I want to install xp for people and not have them contact me when something they are trying isnt working because i removed a feature say if they were trying to print or install a nic card and use dhcp or dns or even connection sharing.

I got down to about 400mb with a bunch of stuff from ryanvm site. Basic programs and updates i dont want too much junk to defeat my purpose.

A list would be great of things to keep or remove.

Ini files are great as well too.

We don't know what u want. The most functional but slimmed down xp would be one that has everything in component removal gone except what's highlighted in red. You have to decide what to do, what u want or not, what u can do w/ur source or not.

Edit: i got my home edition down to 200mb w/programs and addons.

Edited by T D

I use 2 nlited xp

My version wich is about 180 mb, customised to my need

and a General version because I dont want to call back from my friends,family,fof...

I suggest you do the same. the size of my general edition is 200mb, but it does not include any extra software or unneeded KB.

Many people blindy install all KB, it's so stupid some of them refer to service that are removed by nlite. other refer to IE or Outlook. Use Firefox and disable unneeded service and you will be able to drop the KB list by 90 %.

I only use 4 KB. (and windows xp spk2)

• 2 weeks later...

ya i use a windows update pack from ryanvm site, but i use the lite pack. basically i want the windows to be faster and more secure and install faster as well. but i rather not have any calls from people when something doesnt work.

i only got mine down to 400 or something without integrating anything. i wonder how people get it down so far whilst keeping internet, printers, scanners, wifi, filesharing and everything working. + able to install games and applications without any problems.

i only got mine down to 400 or something without integrating anything. i wonder how people get it down so far whilst keeping internet, printers, scanners, wifi, filesharing and everything working. + able to install games and applications without any problems.

have u removed languages? that will shave about two hundred megs off.

also i dont use wifi and filesharing so that saves me some more space.

Edited by anoymous_person

You should know what exactly every component is used for, so you can decide if you need it or not. Some of the components in red are not that critical and you can actually remove them without any problem.

Don't expect to do it right from the first time.

You need nLite experience to obtain the best results.

Nobody can tell you what exactly to remove and what to keep.

After being installed my WinXP [fully updated (no ryanvm pack though) and no addons integrated] is ~ 400MB too (pagefile excluded).

Network, internet, printers, filesharing... everything is working great :)

Edited by rado354

rule 1

dont not remove any thing in the red

rule 2

do not remove ANY!! DRIVERS : well ... u will be using a lot of F words afters

rules 3

TEST IT : make sure you dont have anything you need removed

i got mine down to 472 mb but i got SP2 in there and about 80 mb of addon appz i need as well

Edited by ZcWorld