win 2k multiboot

hey !

I got a quick question ... I have Win 2k and Win XP pro multibooted on one machine ..... have decided to upgrade my Win 2k to the pro version .... but I am scared the only way would be to reformat and do it again ... both OS are installled on one hard drive on separate partations .... can anyone suggest a way to upgrade my win 2k to win 2k pro without losing my stuff on Win XP or my multiboot functionality .... I have the boot.ini file backed up in all cases something goes wrong and wouldn;t mind getting nitty gritty on the file level ..... need some direction on how to do it though ....

Any help would be great ...

Assuming the XP partition was the last one you built, you could create an image of the W2K partition on another drive, sys it and remove your dual boot drive. Then boot from the lone W2K drive, upgrade away and reverse the process.

hey !

I got a quick question ... I have Win 2k and Win XP pro multibooted on one machine ..... have decided to upgrade my Win 2k to the pro version ....

can anyone suggest a way to upgrade my win 2k to win 2k pro without losing my stuff on Win XP

What do you mean upgrade Win 2000 to Pro? Win 2000 is already the Professional version.

The only snag in any Win2k/XP multiboot system is the boot files, esp. ntldr and ntdetect.com. The older versions in Win2k won't boot xp. So make a copy of them first and restore them after.

Boot.ini shouldn't be any concern. In any case you can always fix it manually or with the RC.

I thought hye was talking about upgrading XP Home to XP Pro[

quote name=Takeshi' date='Aug 6 2006, 08:42 PM' post='543974]

hey !

I got a quick question ... I have Win 2k and Win XP pro multibooted on one machine ..... have decided to upgrade my Win 2k to the pro version ....

can anyone suggest a way to upgrade my win 2k to win 2k pro without losing my stuff on Win XP

What do you mean upgrade Win 2000 to Pro? Win 2000 is already the Professional version.

The only snag in any Win2k/XP multiboot system is the boot files, esp. ntldr and ntdetect.com. The older versions in Win2k won't boot xp. So make a copy of them first and restore them after.

Boot.ini shouldn't be any concern. In any case you can always fix it manually or with the RC.