How to burn DL DVD correctly? [SOLVED]

Takeshi

Searched this forum with no luck. Google shows up hardware results.

Nero 6 recognises my two Pioneer DVD-RWs and shows where the 8.5GB limit is.

I have a DL DVD with no copy protection copied to the HD. it plays properly on the HD and standalone player.

I'd like to know can Nero burn it to DVD DL? Will Nero know which files to put in which layer and correctly control the layer break?

Thanks. :hello:

Edited by Takeshi

I have Nero 6 and have never tried using it on DL DVD. However I have sucessfully used DVD shrink to shring a 12 gb movie to fit on a DL DVD, by backing it up to an *.iso and then using DVD Decrypter. I just went to after down and came up with this link below. Apparently Nero 6 DOES burn DL from what they say. Good Luck and let us know.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6117.cfm

jd

Thanks for replying.

Normally I'd just test run it but there aren't any rewritable DL DVDs (or are there?) and the non rewritables are still costly. I suppose eventually I'll have to have a go.

If anyone else have tried it please give your feedback here. :hello:

Takeshi, In the next couple of days I will be burning some more movies and will attempt to burn one with Nero. I will need to know my self as I have a HUGE family video collection to go thru (super 8 to VHS). Will reply back to this thread with results.

jd

03GrandAmGT: thanks in advance! Hope it'll just work...

But you need to author it properly first. Apparently TMPGEnc DVD Author 2 can do it, according to its homepage. You probably know that already.

03GrandAmGT: thanks in advance! Hope it'll just work...

But you need to author it properly first. Apparently TMPGEnc DVD Author 2 can do it, according to its homepage. You probably know that already.

IT WORKS!!!!!! :thumbup

Spent the day and have tried the following to edit and make the DVD files.

Ulead Video Studio 9

Video Redo

Nero

I then used DVD Shrink to create the 8.5 Gig size. DVD Shrink also asked to burn directly to DVD. Checked yes. Burning took approx. 52 minutes as it caches the files and then burns them. And BOTH DVD folders are there Audio_TS and Video_TS. Played in my HTPC, My wifes Desktop, My Desktop and my son's desktop. The only thing I am not sure of is standalone DVD players. On the newer ones there shouldn't be a problem but you know how that goes. Anyway below are some screen shots I took of the burning process. All software I tried for the editing worked with No Problems Found. And Takeshi, if you happen to have a standalone DVD player maybe you could try it and report back.

jd

03GrandAmGT: Many thanks again!

I don't quite follow two points, please clarify:

I then used DVD Shrink to create the 8.5 Gig size.

I thought DVD Shrink only supports 4.7GB. So it now supports 8.5GB? I'm using v.3.17.

And I thought it doesn't have burning as such but uses whatever you have to burn.

My main objective is to watch the DVD using standalone DVD player. Right now I haven't any DL disks so I'll have to get some first. When I've tried it I'll let you know. But what you've done is encouraging indeed. :thumbup:hello:

Hi,

Nero will burn to dual layer DVD but it doesn't read the data of the iso to establish where it will lay the layer break point so it's not good for movie burning. Use imgburn for that as it will read the data on the iso and look for the break point thus giving you a relatively flawless layer transition. Using PGCEdit you can even place the break point where you choose ie at a dark point in the movie and the layer change is virtually unnoticeable.

Nero 6 & 7 is suitable for data dvds of all types though.

Thanks for your input!

That was my concern - about layers. On the computer layers won't matter.

So if you're saying Imgburn will read the ifo correctly then I'll try that to be sure of a higher chance of success of playing it in standalone players.

http://www.imgburn.com/

ImgBurn will try its very best to burn your DVD-Video double layer images using the layer break you've specified in the IFO files, but it can also calculate the best place for you, to save you the trouble.

I DID NOT have DVD Shrink save the files to iso format. I used the function inside of DVD Shrink to Burn directly to DVD. What this will do is take the iso image itself and arrange where the tracks go. After the files and folders are created in a standard DVD file format structure. DVD Shrink then calls Nero to do the actual burn process. I don't if DVD Shrink 3.17 had the option to burn DVD type 9 or not. I haven't used that version in a while. Go to Edit>Preferences, and on the preferences tab it shoud have a box like this.

Also the only way I would trust a LARGE video file in iso format would be the way I did it above or to use DVD Decrypter.

jd

Edited by 03GrandAmGT

I DID NOT have DVD Shrink save the files to iso format. I used the function inside of DVD Shrink to Burn directly to DVD. What this will do is take the iso image itself and arrange where the tracks go.

You mentioned the iso image, but not created by DVD Shrink. So which app made it?

I think I understand the rest.

I'll upgrade DVD Shrink in due course and replug my Pioneer 111D.

This thread from ImgBurn forum is getting close to what I really want to know.

What if the layer break is already in my DVD files?

That forum has some guides on Imgburn, well worth a look.

I have Nero 6 and have never tried using it on DL DVD. However I have sucessfully used DVD shrink to shring a 12 gb movie to fit on a DL DVD, by backing it up to an *.iso and then using DVD Decrypter. I just went to after down and came up with this link below. Apparently Nero 6 DOES burn DL from what they say. Good Luck and let us know.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6117.cfm

jd

I DID NOT have DVD Shrink save the files to iso format. I used the function inside of DVD Shrink to Burn directly to DVD. What this will do is take the iso image itself and arrange where the tracks go.

You mentioned the iso image, but not created by DVD Shrink. So which app made it?

I think I understand the rest.

I'll upgrade DVD Shrink in due course and replug my Pioneer 111D.

This thread from ImgBurn forum is getting close to what I really want to know.

What if the layer break is already in my DVD files?

That forum has some guides on Imgburn, well worth a look.

Takeshi, When I was referring to the ISO image. I was referring to the raw files created by DVD Decrypter which rips from the DVD to the Hard Drive, and then I use DVD Shrink to compress the RAW files from whatever the size maybe to the DVD-5 format 4.7 Gig. Then I save that as a ISO image and burn to a 4.7 format DVD. As far as what I did the other day was try all of my Video authoring tools to compile some of the family footage I have and then used DVD Shrink to burn DIRECTLY to the DVD using Nero. Hope this makes sense. Anymore questions let me know.

jd

Success :hello:

Basically:

Used ImgBurn 2 to build the iso using existing authored files on HD,

chose the layer break manually (probably using existing ifo),

saved iso and mds,

used ImgBurn to burn mds.

DVD DL played in Pioneer DVR111D and standalone ARCAM DVD player.

Thanks again to everyone who helped. :thumbup

================================

ADDENDUM

Further improvement:

If you have the original DVD, load it in the DVD-ROM and open ImgBurn, go to Mode > Verify. On the R it'll show you exactly where the layer break occurs (right at the bottom). Something like:

Layer Information:

Layer 0 Sectors: 2,019,648 (53.16%)

Layer 1 Sectors: 1,779,871 (46.84%)

Then you can compare this with what shows up later during Build and in addition, use IfoEdit to have a look at the corresponding PGC and Cell IDs.

Edited by Takeshi