Wipe HardDrive ?

tal ormanda

I was wondering how to do this. It would help one with spyware I have. And some other things. I have a Dell computer and I have a Purple disk that says Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1. Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell Computer. This CD is not for reinstallion of programs or drivers. Can someone tell me what to do so I can be sure how to do this? Thanks

Edited by tal ormanda

It behaves like the MS hologram XP installation CD, i.e. bootable and install in the usual way, but only customised by DELL. Mine has Recovery Console. It contains its own product key.

Better, make an updated SP2 integrated CD.

DELL provided me with other CDs for drivers and programs.

Edited by Takeshi

What will it erase?

In fact this is an interesting question!

It will restore the operating system setup as it was originally provided by the manufacturer.

But the question is, how will the recovery media erase existing data under the previous system state.

So can someone tell me what to do? I am experience with computers but never did this before and would like to.

Read what I said before. It behaves just like an ordinary XP CD, except for some customisation and unattended files and folders.

It is NOT a restore CD provided by some other manufacturers. It will NOT automatically wipe your HD. It even boots in VMWare.

Mine is a DELL blue coloured CD, for XP Pro, it will boot, you see the familiar "Press Any Key to boot from CD", it gives you the options to press F2 and F6, then copies files, then goes to Windows Setup with the usual options.

Get it? You are experienced with computers but have never done Windows installations?

EDIT: Just to see if your DELL CD behaves like what I say, you can try booting it in VMW/VPC, or just insert it and let it autorun in Windows (if not, d-click the setup.exe). You should see the

Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP

What do you want to do?

blue screen.

Edited by Takeshi

As this is a full XP installation disk, if you CHOOSE to do a fresh install, including a re-format (which I recommend), it WILL erase all files on the disk/partition. To truly rid yourself of any infection, this is the only way to go--back up your files and start from stratch.

Before doing that however, I recommend find drivers for you devices first, especially your network card. It can be much more difficult to search for drivers if you can't connect to the Internet.

I also recommend (as mentioned previously), to update the disk to SP2 and apply the update patches. If your not sure how to do this, a great place to start is MSFN's Unattended CD/DVD guide. Great tools like NLite and RyanVM's post SP2 update packs can make this process a snap.

One point: This disk you have is a Dell OEM XP installation CD, it will work just fine if you are using it for the Dell it came with, but if you attempt to install XP to a non-Dell computer using this disk the key will not work and you will have to contact microsoft (who I doubt will help given this situation) within 30 days or your computer will become locked out.

Edited by TheFlash428