How should I Format my New HDD?

spacesurfer

I purchased a new 300 Gb HDD. Question is, how should I format it?

My OS HDD is different. This new one is for storage only.

I want 5 partitions on this HDD.

I did 4 primary partitions, but when I got to last one, it will not let me format that one. That space remains unallocated.

Should I do it all as primary or all as extended? Should I do first as primary and rest as extended?

I just need to use the second one as storage, not for an OS.

Thanks.

BTW, my OS is SATA 1.5 Gb/sec and the new one is SATA 3.0 Gb/sec. Would I benefit in performance by installing OS (WinXP) on 3.0 Gb/sec HDD. Or should I leave it on the slower one, but set temp folders (for burning apps, sound editing apps) on faster one?

Primary Partitions is usually for the windows installation(s) it is most of the time referedt o as active partition as well. Depending on your physical configuration, the setup varies.

This new drive is for data storage. In recommendationd, i would make that drive an extended partitiation. With in th eextended partition you can create your new logical partitions.

You can only have a max. of 4 primary partitions on a physical HD, or 3 prim and one ext or other suitable combo. In the extended partition you can have many logical partitions.

Primary partition can be active or non-active. The two aren't the same. If you have four primaries, they can't all be active, can they? Think logically.

The choice is yours. Data partitions can be prim or ext/logical. It doesn't really matter. A hundread people can reply with different set ups. There's no definitive answer. I have 3 prim and one ext on each of my HDs. You should have the first as primary. This way, you can always install an OS later without repartitioning.

Edited by Takeshi

I've always used partitions but I never quite understood extended partitions.

I think I'm beginning to understand now.

I need to reparition my OS drive since I have 1 primary and extended/logical partition. I want to be able to install a second OS to that one so I need to redo that one.

Anyway, I converted my whole second drive to extended with logical drives. Is there a way I can make the first one a primary?

I will go for One primary and remaining One Extended. Then use that extended partition to create logical in it. As u require 5 partitions in total, that makes it four logical in the Extended partition.

I will always make atleast one primary as it could be used for OS installation if required. And I dont think that 3 primary partitions are required anyway.

Unless FDISk has been changed, it will only set up four partitions.

Making multiple logical partitions in the Secondary partition is redundant.

Just use Folders to separate data files.

Also, keeping your storage or DATA drive in FAT-32 format will help immensely when you need to get to that data in an emergency, like where Windows is trashed.

Even a simple DOS boot disk will allow you access to your files.

I went one step further and I just keep all my drives and partitions in FAT-32 mode.

I can access any file on my PC with my DOS boot disk.

Don't get crazy with partitioning.....it can come back to haunt you! :unsure:

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

I've always used partitions but I never quite understood extended partitions.

I think I'm beginning to understand now.

Anyway, I converted my whole second drive to extended with logical drives. Is there a way I can make the first one a primary?

1. There's lots of info on the internet. MS Windows XP Pro Resource Kit is a good source too.

2. Either start again in Windows or use PM/Acronis to convert it. The usual warning applies - backup.

I have not yet saved anything on the hard drive.

Since it's an extended partition, I'm guessing I can't just delete the first partition and reformat it as primary since the extended partition is like an envelop around the logical partitions.

Since I have no data, I will probably delete all partitions from within windows xp and redo the partitions.

Is there any reason to do a full format the first time, or can I do a quick format?

Partitioning a HDD is a little more complicated than just making 4,5 or 6 partitions. You should take into account

what your backup strategy is, what you are backing up to; ie cd's or dvd's, another Hdd, tape, etc, what kind

of data you need to back-up, how often you plan to backup, make simple file backups or images. You need to

do a web search of partitioning strategies. Black viper used to have a good treatise on the subject as well as

a fellow named Fred Langa who writes a free subscription news letter called LangaList. A must read in my

humble opinion. Good Luck.

I don't have a HD with just ext. partitions to test PM/Acronis but I think it's possible to do it. I just find it so strange to have only ext. partitions on a HD.

If you don't have any data, it's best to delete and reformat. A quick format will do.