Cloning HDD problem...

Rowan

Hi, I am technician. I am familar on format and install Windows XP. Just want to ask about clone hdd problem.

I use Norton Ghost 8.2 (from Hiren BootCD 8.2) to image the WinXP Pro along with Windows Updates and software including office 2003 and other software into a image file. After that I clone it to other PC. The strange thing is after cloning, sometimes the PC will automatically restart. Can please experts help me what's going on, Or suggest me to use software to do cloning.

Thanks.

One of two things most likely either the mass storage driver is not correct or the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) on the target machine is different and not compatible with the source system.

If I remember correctly, Ghost has an option to restart automatically after process is finished.

If you mean an option to restart PC after process is finished, it does have this option. But is that the problem?

One of two things most likely either the mass storage driver is not correct or the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) on the target machine is different and not compatible with the source system.

Maybe I was not clear it enough, my problem is the Windows will auto-restart after cloning hdd.

Now, let's say if I clone to other system which have same or familiar specification mainly Motherboard, I reinstall mass storage driver. Would it solve that auto-restart problem when PC is running?

First let's clarify.

When exactly are you havig the reboot problem?

At the end of capturing the image?

are you using the -RB switch? -RB is automatic reboot.

At the end of ghosting to the new machine?

During the first boot attempt into windows after ghosting to new machine?

then see my previous post.

There are a few ways to solve this, use a BartPE cd wih the idefix plugin, run sysprep and have it install the massstorage drivers before capturing the image.

I had a similar (and by similar, I mean different :whistle: ) problem with Ghost when WinXP 1st came out.

It would clone the disk (Win XP booting HD) just fine in the sense that all the files were there. I verified that by putting the drive as a secondary in a working system. But the original computer would not boot the clone on the new HD!!!

Symantec or whever they were at the time came out with a new version of Ghost that allowed XP to be cloned and boot on the new drive!!!

So your using ghost 8, I'd try either version 9 or 2003. One of those seemed to only work in windows and the other let me create DOS floppies.

So try a newer verison to see if that solves your problem, since it solved mine.

First let's clarify.

When exactly are you havig the reboot problem?

At the end of capturing the image?

At the end of ghosting to the new machine?

During the first boot attempt into windows after ghosting to new machine?

then see my previous post.

There are a few ways to solve this, use a BartPE cd wih the idefix plugin, run sysprep and have it install the massstorage drivers before capturing the image.

After the ghosting to a new PC process, I test ran that PC. When I work some settings or try software in Windows, sometimes or rarely PC sudden reboot. I use norton ghost 8.3 from hiren bootcd, which means I choose Norton Ghost 8.3 in Hiren menu, not in Windows XP or dos, so I don't know how to use -rb unless there is an option to be picked in the Norton Ghost.

:blushing: Oh yeah, I guess there is another thing may cause this problem, that is Windows XP inside the ghost image already has problem to cause PC reboot before I ghost. Because I noticed inside Windows's event viewer from Administrative Tools, it said that the computer has bugcheck and require reboot and mentioned the memory addresses. I guess I made mistake on installing Windows or hardware problem. :P

haha... Why I don't figure it first. Shame on me. But anyway thanks you guys for helping me.

Can you give some tips when I ghost Windows XP so I won't make mistakes again, thanks again.

Edited by Rowan

The only two times you can do a Ghost Clone operation is when cloning one drive to another on the same computer or to another computer that's an EXACT duplicate of the first PC.

Any slight difference can prevent the cloned image from booting. That's a safety feature built into Windows XP. It also helps if the receiving drive is pre-partitioned and formatted.

Now, for ease of use, never use Ghost from within windows.

I won't even load the Ghost package on my PC. It's redundant!

I have used Ghost 2003 for several years and Ghost 2002 even before that and the original Ghost.exe program from Ghostsoft, Inc., way back in the mid 90's.

So, I guess you could say I'm an old Pro at using Ghost.

(for about ten years now)

I've developed a Ghost boot disk with a nice little Ansi-Color menu.

Included on the disk is several batch files to do various cleanup jobs on the HD before I actually run Ghost.exe.

Here's the Menu:

GHOST 2003 Menu

1. Run Ghost to make a new image, Windows XP

This program will delete all temp files, cookies, histories, etc.

The Cleanup works only on a FAT-32 partition.

2. Run Ghost

This program runs Ghost alone, with NO cleanup being done.

Use this version to do Ghost Restores or Ghost image without cleanup.

You must use this option on any NTFS partition.

3. Run Ghost on Windows 98 (deletes the Swapfile and all temp's.)

4. Delete all Restore points (Windows XP. Works on FAT-32 partition only)

5. Delete Windows "Pagefile" (Windows XP. Works on FAT-32 partitions only)

Type in a number at the DOS Prompt and press ENTER

I created this boot disk on a 1.44 floppy. Nero allowed me to convert this to a CD.

I use it several times a week to make Ghost backups of my HD.

From the Autoexec.bat file I load 'Mouse.com'. Running Ghost with the mouse is much easier than from a keyboard.

For the life of me, I will never understand why people have so much trouble with a program that's so powerfull but yet so easy to use. :whistle:

Ghost 2003 reads NTFS partitions as well as FAT-32 partitions and can write directly to a DVD as easily as a HD.

I'll be glad to help anyone wanting to use Ghost the way I use it.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

Acronis has a prettier interface when running in DOS mode compared to Ghost.

You're already using Ghost 8.2, which is more advanced than Ghost 2003. Some say Acronis has better support for USB.

For the average user, there's not much difference.

But the way, how about Acronis True Image? I heard that Acronis is better than Ghost.

You heard?

We give solutions here, not rumors or hear say.

Are you willing to provide Acronis for FREE for someone and then teach them how to use it?

Acronis costs money! I got Ghost 2003 for free.

It's so typical,,,,,there's always someone wanting to bring a cat to a dog fight. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ghost is the ONLY way to go. :thumbup:thumbup Been using it almost as long as Andromeda. Have never had any problems with it cloning anything from Dos partitions to XP. Very easy to use and reliable, the way ALL software should be. Hey Andromeda care to share your boot minus the ghost.exe??

jd

Are you willing to provide Acronis for FREE for someone and then teach them how to use it?

Acronis costs money! I got Ghost 2003 for free.

Both cost money. You got yours free but that in itself doesn't necessarily mean it's superior. So that's not a valid argument for the relative merit of the software.

It's probably true that there're more users familiar with Ghost than Acronis so you're more likely to get help with the former.