Xp Partition?

lennierv

Hey I got a real problem here...

I install my legal copy of xp frequently. I use a hard disk where I partition it in two...

I place my Windows OS in the "C:" partition and my Data in the "D:" Partition

I hope I am making myself clear here...

Anyway the problem comes when I want to reinstall windows with my xp bootable cd

When I get to the part where the partitions are visible, THE WINDOWS XP PARTITION JUMPS TO THE DRIVE LETTER "D" WHILE MY DATA TURNS INTO THE DRIVE LETTER "C"

I tried other versions of xp and the same problem occurs...

I don't like my Xp OS being in the other partition...

Its only normal if it is in "C:"

I hope someone knows what the problem is here... I bet many of you have encountered this as well

Whenever I try to change the drive letter in the partition the windows crashes..

Do any of you know how to properly change the Drive letters of the partitions that are in use??

do you know what order the partitons are in? is the data partition the 1st partition and the xp partition the 2nd partition. if so then that may be the problem, xp like to rename the partitions everytime you reinstall which can get very annoying.

The question is if the first partition is The primary and is set as bootable. I had my computer do something like that when i had linux. My secondary partiton known as Extended partiition was somehow set to being bootable. So check that using a Partitioning software like Partition Magic or somehing similuar

It's never occurred to me.

How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows

But I won't recommend it unless you're confident in editing the registry. It'd be best to reinstall in the correct partition.

I'm unclear what happened. During installation, the first partition available in the HD usually appears first on top of the partition list, it doesn't matter what drive letter it has.

It's also possible to install XP in primary and extended partitions so I doubt if that is the cause of your problem.

It's just conceivable that your MBR or partition table has some errors. But then as I understand, the PT doesn't need to list the partitions in exact order.

What happened was that the first partition which was the xp partition had the drive letter "C" and when I tried to reinstall windows it jumped to the letter "D" and the Data drive switched to drive letter "C"

That is what happened

Your data partition has not been physically moved, just it's drive letter has changed. That's easy to change later.

Leaving aside what causes this, a workaround is to hide the data partition first. Then during install XP Setup won't see it and won't assign it C. In addition you can delete the XP partition first; then you'll have an unformatted space to go ahead.