Right, here are my machine specs:

Processor: Athlon 64 3200+

Overclock: 2550Mhz

FSB: 255

Voltage: 1.550v

CPU Fan: Big Orange Akasa HSF Combo

Thermal Paste: Newly applied AS5

+2 80mm exhaust fans.

Now what I want to know is, my temps before I applied the AS5 are about the same as they are now after I have applied it. Is there a 'bedding in' period for the AS5 and how long does it take for it to work properly?

Current Temps:

CPU Idle: 38'c

CPU Load: 50'c after 6 minutes of running CPU Stability Test

Are these temps ok and will they come down a bit after the AS5 has had it's bedding in period?

Also, this is all measured on Windows Vista build 5472, sing Everest Home Edition.

Thanks

HougTimo

it takes about a week of putting it into load and idle. so just wait a week and see what happens. its supposed to by ~100hrs but just wait a week. youre load temp can be fixed by a better heatsink or maybe by not using such a high voltage...

Arctic Silver does improve over a short period of time, and then reaches it's optimal working conditions. Like ripken said - just wait. :)

What is your case temperature? The only way that you'll be able to lower your CPU temp is by either lowering the ambient temperature in the case (i.e. improve airflow, add more intake/exhaust fans), or by getting a better heatsink. I've never heard of the heatsink that you're using, but the Scythe Ninja seems to be the king of cooling at the moment.

Thanks for the comments, i thought that might have been the case. The case temp never goes above 29'C, (and its very hot weather here atm) so in theory it should come down a little bit i think. I'll see what happens :)

That 40C number seems to be floating around the internet a lot, but I've never really seen where it holds it's merrit. The thermal specs of all processors indicate that they can tolerate much higher temperatures, and it just seems like people are overly paranoid about frying their CPUs.