Big hole in XP OS....A must read....Important

XPerties

Who should read this bulletin: Customers using Microsoft® Windows® ME or XP, or who have installed the Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing client on Windows 98 or 98SE.

Impact of vulnerability: Run code of attacker’s choice.

Maximum Severity Rating: Critical

Recommendation: Microsoft strongly urges all Windows XP customers to apply the patch immediately. Customers using Windows 98, 98SE or ME should apply the patch if the Universal Plug and Play service is installed and running.

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows 98

Microsoft Windows 98SE

Microsoft Windows ME

Microsoft Windows XP

get the patch here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...in/MS01-059.asp

-XPerties

Be sure to switch off Universal Plug'n'Play as well. The patch don't really cover it all. Other words...it don't fully work! Check it out at http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=2111&category=main. Your best defense is to encrypt folders that contain confidential information like credit card numbers, passwords, etc. The best method is to keep confidential data on external media like zip disks, CD-R, etc. Ah, I'm tired of writing.

Xpertise one thing I have found with bootvis is that if you use it and optimize the system it works fine for the first boot. System boots considerably faster, then after next boot it seems your back to square one again. Any reason for this. I normally run it through twice then optimize the last boot trace.

Yah you should run it 2 times then optimize the last one, but I dont know why you would experiance it slowing down after the first boot. Havent heard that before but so many people get different results from it.

-XPerties