Nlite Disappears....

sunnyboymark

Alrighty people......I'm usually NOT one to complain about errors. but this particular one has happened to me twice already. I'll post my last session.ini in hopes someone can help me.

Up until now, I've never had a single issue with Nlite. IF....IF i ran into any problems, they were usually my fault or my own doing....hence the topic description.

But this time, things seem different. I'm trying to Nlite a untouched copy of WindowsXPSP2 Home Edition(SP2 integrated already). I check everything EXCEPT apply service pack....cuz its already integrated. I add my hotfixes, add my driver, remove my components, apply my tweaks&settings and its ready to do its own thing at the end.

It starts off decompressing Ryan 2.1.0 Update Pack(i added this first on the hotfix list as someone else suggested) (in 7z format). I walk away thinking it'll go through its processes and I'll be back later to see if its done and create my ISO. I come back after 30-45 min to find that the nLite application has completely disappeared.....or exited out if you will. I certainly didn't do it. I walked away hoping it would do its thing.

This is mind boggling to me and I hope perhaps someone else has ran into this or knows of the problem. Happened twice already and I used the exact same configurations, hotfixes, etc. Never happened before with 1.0 Final or previous.

I don't want to blame nLite. It may not be nLite's fault. But I would like to say I sort of suspect the whole 7z format(7 zip). When I integrated the .Cab files, it goes great.

Any help or light shed on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mark

Last_Session.ini

i had this "error" when integrating an addon that had bad typos in the .inf file. so remove all addons and see if its working. then add just one addon in a row to discover which one is the cause.

Alrighty...

I'm back with the latest update regarding this error of the "disappearing nlite".

This is what I did: Re-downloaded/checked ALL my addons. Un-installed/re-installed nLite AND .Net 2.0 cleanly.

First try I only checked Hotfixes and Remove components. I sat and watched as all my addons integrated successfully(which seems to take 10-15 min). When it got to the removing components part, it started off ok. After removing a couple components......THAT's when nLite disappears/suddenly exits out.

2nd try: I decide to check ONLY remove components and NOTHING else. It starts off alright....and than same as above. After removing a few components, its mysteriously closes out/vanishes into thin air.

So.....I think I've narrowed it down to the remove components section. But its actually hard to tell where the error lies. Is one of my hotfixes causing the component removal to err and close out? Is there a component checked that it has trouble removing and so it "blue screens" and exits out? I guess I can't rule out the possibility that my original WindowsXPSP2 CD COULD be corrupt and everytime nLite copies it, there's a corruption somewhere(even though it copies over successfully). But I don't think its corrupt because that same CD worked just great with 1.0 Final and previous versions.

Like I said.......hard to tell what the issue is. Its either a bug or my XPSP2 media is corrupted somehow....which I doubt. Its more likely a bug or one of those addons is corrupting the component removal. Don't know...hoping someone can tell me or advise me where to go from here.

Last_Session.ini

I don't need to slipstream anything because all my media has SP2 integrated into it already.

Speaking of media......I thought I would test out the "bad media" theory to see if you were right and I was wrong. So I downloaded XPSP2 Home Edition from a torrent site and extracted the ISO and began the nlite process. When it got to component removal......same results: Disappeared after removing several items. Keep in mind this media didn't even come off of a CD. It was a downloaded/untouched ISO(to my knowledge) that I simply extracted and attempted to nLite. So perhaps my CD media is fine and something else is wrong. Actually, now that I think about it....the ISO I downloaded was a XPSP2 9 in 1 CD put out by a person or group known as xiso...or something like that. I extracted the Home Edition Retail Version from the root directory.

Anyways, This is starting to get ridiculous (and a little frustrating)......no use attaching my last session.ini...there's not really any information there to help diagnose this particular problem

Another side note: this may not have anything to do with nLite....but the Ryan VM Update Pack 2.1.0 takes 15-20 minutes to integrate. Note that his update pack is in 7-Zip format now. Before when it was in .Cab format, it would only take maybe 5 minutes or so. This is very annoying.......and I should probably bring this up on his forums because there's not much anyone here on the nLite boards can do, right?

15-20 mins?

turn off your AV and try it again..

At the moment I don't have any AV or Firewall installed...except Windows Firewall. Maybe I'll just reformat/reinstall windows from another source and try this all again. I don't know these weird things are happening to me with nlite, but I'm desperate for it to stop.......

• 2 weeks later...

It happens to me either when trying to nlite a HFSLIPPED Windows 2000. It simply dissapears out of the tray... I tried in Windows 2000 itself and in a clean formatted Windows XP (well in Windows 2000 gives error in XP simply dissapears), with the same SOURCESS.

Ok exact problem is when you try to add remove anything in installation, I mean integrate drivers or remove components (at least they are which I have tried), nlite exits without any message or error. Simply dissapears.

I slipstream dx9 ie6 mp9 and all hotfixes in w2000 plus my hacked system files regs and fixes for w2000. I don't include any third party app or any net framework.

Nlite exits when I try to remove components or install drivers... Only that... annoying ANNOYING fact :)

EDIT

By the way, all this was made on a clean-formatted-wxp sp2, with only nlite, ultra iso and net framework 2 installed (without any net framework or system update)

EDIT2

I hope it's for help to some people, specially you sunnyboymark:

I found MY problem. After trying so many times with nlite 1.0.1 final, I made the conclussion that when you try to remove some components nlite crashed. I had hacked sfcfiles.dll to remove file protection, and THAT was the problem. I downloaded nlite 1.0 final, and it gave me the solution, because before exiting it displayed this error message "Wrong compression on sfcfiles.dl_" (or something similar, ver 1.0.1 didn't display that message...). This was due to I renamed sfcfiles.dll to sfcfiles.dl_ instead of makecabbing it. Now I had compressed it and It works like charm. I hope the nlite 1.0.1 exit errors are due to wrong compression on some archives, and the fact that that version of nlite doesn't display the right error message.

Edited by XibaD

Ah that site started that renaming propaganda like it's not better to just leave the full name, Windows don't care.

I'll see into better messaging regarding these messed up files.

Thanks XibaD