XPize integration failed

Tomalak

Hello all,

I had a strange experience with hfslip this weekend.

After nLite had problems integrating XPize some time ago, I discovered that its integration is also supported by hfslip. My last install (mid of May so I used the stable version before 60528, can't remember which one it was exactly) went fine, the system came up after installation completely 'xpized' (version 4.3 oder 4.4x).

This weekend I had to do a reinstall, and I did everything exactly as last time: put the executable "xpize.exe" (version 4.42 lite) into the 'HF' folder and set "FORCEXPIZESLIP=1" in the hfanswer.ini. During the hfslip run I saw some messages that indicated that the integration was indeed done ("Please wait while xpize ..." etc.), but after installation of Windows everything was just plan vanilla Windows XP SP2, without any change! Okay, I used nLite too (1.0.1, which also allows integration of IE7), but only to remove some components, and this was not different from last time when it had worked. I can't imagine how nLite would roll back the changes made by xpize and restore the original unpatched files... So I think it might be a problem of hfslip (or me, in combination with hfslip :) ). So what is going on here? Someone with similar experiences or an idea which magic happened here? Do you need more information?

Thanks for your help,

Commander Tomalak

I'll try to find out on the XPize site if the slipstreaming procedure was changed recently.

Did you attempt a non-nLited HFSLIP installation as well as a non-HFSLIPped nLite installation to make sure it's HFSLIP's problem?

I'll try to find out on the XPize site if the slipstreaming procedure was changed recently.

Did you attempt a non-nLited HFSLIP installation as well as a non-HFSLIPped nLite installation to make sure it's HFSLIP's problem?

No, didn't have the time to check it out that detailled by now. But I have to test something different first, got that idea from another thread where you answered: currently I'm not running hfslip as an administrator, only as a normal user. Maybe this has caused this problem too - I saw the messages on the screen but XPize was not able to fulfill its task...

More on that later,

Tomalak

I don't want to create a new topic for this q, so I post it here..

Is this the correct order:

first HFSLIP to replace original files with hotfixes, then nLite to do whatever I want.

And am I correct about this: nLite simply adds the hotfixes to svcpack, it doesn't REALLY slipstream them like it would do with SP1 or SO2. For this, we need HFSLIP. But, RyanVM updatepack can't be used to replace files, since it is a user-created pack.. so both HFSLIP and nLite simply add it to svcpack? Or am I not supposed to use ryanvm updatepack with HFSLIP? And HFSLIP works with any windows language/hotfix language.

all this correct?

Edited by ZileXa

Hi ZileXa

HFSLIP and the RVM Update Pack more or less do the same: they replace existing files. You can let HFSLIP handle the RVM Update Pack if you want (place it in HFAAO), but remember to remove any hotfixes from HF that are already covered by the Update Pack.

The difference between HFSLIP and the Update Pack is that HFSLIP puts you in charge when deciding which hotfixes to include and which not. The Update Pack is an "all or nothing" thing. Some people prefer the flexibility while others prefer to download one package (the Update Pack) instead of several smaller ones (hotfixes).

To my knowledge, nLite integrates standard hotfixes into SVCPACK, yes. But don't take my word for it.

When using nLite after HFSLIP, you need to be careful not to remove certain files. FDV has more info on his site:

http://www.vorck.com/hfslip-info.html#nlitekeep

Edited by Tomcat76

To my knowledge, nLite integrates standard hotfixes into SVCPACK, yes. But don't take my word for it.

If I remember correctly, there is an option in NLITE to slipstream updates the same way that hfslip does. Nlite still doesn't slipstream IE6 into W2K and it doesn't slipstream DirectX9 into any OS (other than XP service pack 2).

Thanks for all the info.

I think I might use HFSLIP only to slipstream DirectX.. to start with.

When using nLite after HFSLIP, you need to be careful not to remove certain files. FDV has more info on his site:

http://www.vorck.com/hfslip-info.html#nlitekeep

That's a long list of files! if I have time I will check out how much space that will cost... don't have that much free space left on my cd..

After looking more closely to that list: I don't think all those files are necessary to keep when using nLite after HFSLIP. Since I also see scrnsave.scr in the list.

Perhaps I only have to keep the files betweeen ;dx9 stuff and ;wm codec stuff (the dx9 files) since I will not slipstream WMP or any hotfixes related to WMP.

But still a lot of files to keep..

EDIT: nevermind, I have a SP2 cd... so DirectX 9.0c is included although it isn't the latest June version..

Edited by ZileXa

EDIT: nevermind, I have a SP2 cd... so DirectX 9.0c is included although it isn't the latest June version..
There's nothing HFSLIP would slipstream anyway. It doesn't contain updated files that HFSLIP would use (for any OS). The core DX9 has remained the same as from the original installer (ie, you still need the hotfix), and aside from the core HFSLIP only slipstreams the *d3dx9* files (which were last updated in the April release).

No; support for FORCEXPIZESVC was removed. :)

So what's the correct way then to ensure XPize is slipstreamed? Just putting the executable in the HF folder? This parameter is still documented on http://users.telenet.be/tc76/hfslip/special.html - I know it's not to be updated for every test release, but I thought it at least covers the latest stable release. I assumed the parameter is still valid... Will try to prepare a new installation CD in a few days, this time with admin rights ;-) Thanks for your help so far!

Regards,

Tomalak

So what's the correct way then to ensure XPize is slipstreamed? Just putting the executable in the HF folder? This parameter is still documented on http://users.telenet.be/tc76/hfslip/special.html - I know it's not to be updated for every test release, but I thought it at least covers the latest stable release. I assumed the parameter is still valid... Will try to prepare a new installation CD in a few days, this time with admin rights ;-) Thanks for your help so far!

Regards,

Tomalak

The link you provided is up-to-date for the latest final release so the instructions there are valid :).

As Super-Magician said, that page is up to date for the current final. You should put FORCEXPIZESLIP=1 in HFANSWER.INI to slipstream it. HFSLIP uses the slipstreaming switches as documented elsewhere. I wanted to check earlier if they had changed but the XPize site was down. I'll check it again...

Edited by Tomcat76