spam problem

lately i get returning messages to my corporate email saying that the message could not be delivered to the recipients for different reasons, the only problem is that i didnt send the messages. so i can only assume that someone sending spam stating my email address. i wouldnt care if that was my personal email, but as you can guess this cannot be good for a company, giving the impression that we send spam.

any ideas what can be done about it?

thanx

Try out if you have any viruses around on ANY of the corporation computers. This happened to us once, the virus was spoofing mails using my own address (as system administrator) and i had no virus on my server, it was on an old Win95 machine without antivirus.

The virus was using data from the colleague's address book and sending itself to several people.

Try accessing to mail headers and see what gets out of there. There should be the real path from where the mails were sent and all..

thanx for the info

no, no virus here, i did checked the header, and found the ip of the sender, traced it to Shanghai....

i also looked at the mail server, the emails are not being sent through there, it has SMTP password authentication as well...

but this doesnt help me much

i assume that its just some spammer, using my address in his emails... just dont know what to do about it...

I would still opt for the virus problem. We thought no virus was around, until we discovered one on one of the oldest boxes of the company. My best wishes to fix this problem. Could be a spam as well, but previous 'repeated' experience tells me rather of a virus/massmailer.

Regards,

Max

There is a script , mostly called bommer.php that spammers use, which allows them to use any return e-mail address this way showing it was sent form anywhere.

But if the person looks at the e-mail, right clicks, chooses properties they will see it was not from you. If you get anyone sending you e-mails asking you to stop just reply to them and tell them to check properties.

This is a big problem with the hosting industry as alot of people are accused of spamming when they are not. Good luck!

thanx guys, will check all that stuff out.

checked the computers again, no viruse here. we never run outdated software, or outdated antivirus on the mashines (strictly prohibited by myself :) )

didnt receive any complaints yet, will hope its not too massive....

thanx for the help