I Want To Build A Computer Using Windows 98

Atmosphere XG

Hello Everyone! :hello:

I'm new to the board, and, found this forum through Computing.net

Well, here's my story....

I'm a DJ, and I want to build a Computer soley for DJ purposes. The program I use to mix, operates on Windows 98 First Edition. The Audio Editing Device I use operates on Windows 98 First Edition.

I would like (If it's possible) to build a computer and house Windows 98. I really don't see a reason why it can't be done considering, all 2 of my programs will operate on Windows 98.

Can you tell me if Windows 98 (or SE) can handle the following task.

1. One CDR Drive

2. Three 120 GB Hard Drives

3. 1 GHZ of Memory

Everyone I've spoken to, keep steering me to Windows XP. I don't want Windows XP for the following

reasons;

1. It requires too much processors to function (I have Windows 98 operating on 5 processors)

2. It requires too much space (The room it takes up could be used for an mp3 file)

3. You need to call microsoft to activate Windows XP. (Call me crazy, but if I screw up, I just want to pop in my recovery disk, punch in the numbers, and start fresh, without answering to anybody. Its my computer! If I want to @##%$ it up that's my business)

I don't know if these new motherboards (AMD Socket 939) are compatible with Windows 98, so, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the situation.

All I need is a computer with 3 large hard drives, around 1 GHZ of Ram (Which is more than enough for those prgrams), that is rack mountable. That's it!

My DJ Program Requires 64 MB of RAM, on a 350 MHZ Processor

My Audio Editing Device Requires 64 MB of RAM, on a 200 MHZ Processor

Any reason Windows 98 (or SE) will have issues handling this?

I know the programs are no problem, but, I'm not sure on the Hard Drives, the memory, and the motherboard (And Processor) will be a problem for Windows 98.

Thank you.

i think your best bet would be to try and find a used computer. maybe around a PIII 800 or so, then ask the person there if the motherboard would handle that many hard drives at that size. as for 1gb of ram, im sure than any motherboard made in the last 4 years will handle just that. my board is about 4 years old now and it supports 2gb's of ram.

the 120gb hdd's should be read by any motherboard in the last 4 years as well.

any processor that isnt 64bit and/or dual core, should work with windows 98, its just hardware is in the computer, sound, video and anything else you need. so if you look for a PIII or maybe even a P4, or try the AMD route and go with say an AMD athlon XP of any speed, you can run 98 on those CPU's. i have an amd athlon XP 1800+ and i ran 98 on it (took 10 seconds to boot) i later went back to XP though because its just a better OS for faster computers (that or 2000 pro)

anyway, im sure you can do it, its not that hard of a project.

1. It requires too much processors to function (I have Windows 98 operating on 5 processors)

lol XP doesn't need as much as a lot of people think, im running XP on a 7 year old PII 366 and i find it great for a laptop. runs fast, and its efficient. but meh, thats just me.

but anyways, good luck

-brian

Edited by brian10161

you won't have any problems.

first off, if you really must use win98, use the second edition, it's far superior.

secondly, you should consider using XP purely for stability if not for it's superior memory management. my super-modded xp can stay running literally for weeks on end without a reboot, it's amazingly stable.

Gentlemen. I thank you for your input.

I have a question for you, i'm not ophiel.

If the programs I'm using were made before Windows XP was ever in the works (They were built in 1998) why would I need XP? :blink: The Highest operating system listed is Windows 98.

I will need to go for 98SE due to my soundcards are not Windows 98 First Edition compatible.

Currently, my DJ computer is a HP Celeron 500 MHZ Desktop using 192 Kb of RAM, and each program (Never used together) works without a flaw, on Windows 98 SE.

Maybe, I'm looking at this all wrong. :unsure:

Do you guys think I would be better off just buying a rackmountable case, and transfering the motherboard,

power supply, in addition to the CDR Drive, from the HP, and, insert it in the rackmountable case?

I already have two 80 GB drives in it, and have an extra IDE ribbon, & P4 cable, to add another one. However, I don't have enough space.

I could just buy the rackmountable case, and, three 120 GB Hard Drives.

Yea?

Ney?

A single 400Gb drive is cheaper than 3 120s and offers an extra 40Gb BTW...

Though your chipset drivers will have to offer LBA-48 support for 98se to be able to access over 128Gb of them.

Edited by LLXX

Though your chipset drivers will have to offer LBA-48 support for 98se to be able to access over 128Gb of them.

He is a DJ. I guess he does not want to have everything on the same disk.

I'm a DJ, and I want to build a Computer soley for DJ purposes. The program I use to mix, operates on Windows 98 First Edition. The Audio Editing Device I use operates on Windows 98 First Edition.

I would like (If it's possible) to build a computer and house Windows 98. I really don't see a reason why it can't be done considering, all 2 of my programs will operate on Windows 98.

Can you tell me if Windows 98 (or SE) can handle the following task.

1. One CDR Drive

2. Three 120 GB Hard Drives

3. 1 GHZ of Memory

IMO, if you want your third drive to be performant, you shouldn't have it sharing the same slot as the CDR drive which is probably your intent. You may want to either use a SATA able mobo and use a SATA drive as third drive or add an inexpensive PCI card to add more slots for IDE drives.

For memory, Win98SE will handle 1GB of RAM but you'll need to edit your by hand your system.ini file and set the max vcache value to 512000 max.

[vcache] 
MaxFileCache=512000

If the vcache entry does not exist in your system.ini, just create it.

Edited by eidenk

First don't listen those who says that you should install XP, they know nothing about the current w98+++ and you don't need the 2Gb of bloat in XP.

Thought you should use w98SE+uSP2.01a.

(uSP2 already fix the 1Gb issue, you can go to 2Gb)

The only problem is to find a MoBo and the graphic card that supports or have drivers compatible with w98se.

I don't recommand drive more than 128 Gb or Sata. While it might be possible to use w98 with these hardware, it's not obvious to set them up.

Search for "how to install w98 on Sata" if you use it before starting.

HTH

WOW!!! :thumbup

Gentlemen, I thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Hmm..... Where should I start :wacko:

Posted By brian10161

by far that would be the best idea, if the computer does what you need and its just a case issue, why fix something that isn't broken?

I guess it's more of a, "Don't Know What You Have Until It's Gone" thing. Getting caught up in the "buzz" when all in all it's not really needed.

Thanks for bringing me back to reality.

Posted By LLXX

Thanks for your input.

I feel more secure having three separate drives, than trying to do it all with one. I know, it will

require me using a larger power supply in the end, but that's something I'm willing to do.

I was thinking of having all three IDE Hard Drives, powered by it's own power supply, and, keep the

original power supply for the HP Motherboard, and, CDRW Drive.

Fan noise is not an issue, seeing that I'm a DJ not an Audiophile.

What do you guys think?

Posted By eidenk

IMO, if you want your third drive to be performant, you shouldn't have it sharing the same slot as the CDR drive which is probably your intent. You may want to either use a SATA able mobo and use a SATA drive as third drive or add an inexpensive PCI card to add more slots for IDE drives.

For memory, Win98SE will handle 1GB of RAM but you'll need to edit your by hand your system.ini file and set the max vcache value to 512000 max.

CODE

[vcache]MaxFileCache=512000

If the vcache entry does not exist in your system.ini, just create it.

Thanks for your input.

At the moment, I am sharing the CDRW Drive with the Second Hard Drive.

Reason being, the way how the case is configured, it gives you a empty slot to slide in an extra Hard Drive.

However, the ribbon cable for the Primary Hard Drive, can't reach the Secondary Hard Drive, while the Primary Hard Drive is connected. Seeing that the Second Hard Drive sits right below the CDRW drive, the Secondary Hard Drive is connected as the Secondary Drive and the CDRW as the Primary.

I hope you understood my tongue twister explaination. :wacko:

Are you saying that I can extend my ram capacity to 1 GB even though HP stated 256 Maximum?

Cool........

Hacking your computer at it's finest! :thumbup

Here's a question though.

When I play my DJ Software, out of 192 MB of ram, I'm only using 66 MB. When, I'm using the Audio Editing

Device, I'm using around 80 MB. Seeing that I'm never going to use these two together, should I make the

modifications, and add more memory when I have so much headroom with 192 MB of RAM?

Posted By Fredledingue

First don't listen those who says that you should install XP, they know nothing about the current w98+++ and you don't need the 2Gb of bloat in XP.

Thought you should use w98SE+uSP2.01a.

(uSP2 already fix the 1Gb issue, you can go to 2Gb)

The only problem is to find a MoBo and the graphic card that supports or have drivers compatible with w98se.

I don't recommand drive more than 128 Gb or Sata. While it might be possible to use w98 with these hardware, it's not obvious to set them up.

Search for "how to install w98 on Sata" if you use it before starting.

HTH

Thanks for your input.

I'm going to agree with brian10161, and, just put the HP in a rackmountable case (4 Spaces) and, just add

the necessary essentials. So, I won't need to search for a Video Card. I can just use the one I'm currently

using in my HP.

Gentlemen,

I'm assuming (From reading your comments), that my two programs are very old, and don't require much to deliver optimum performance. Maybe I was "amazed" by the Dual Core Processing, Raid thing a ma jig, and, enormous amount of RAM promoted today, into thinking this will do a better job for my two programs.

However, the more that I think about it, it seems I'm not even using my 500 MHZ Celeron, 192 MB of RAM computer at a high capacity. I think my biggest issue (greed) was more hard drive space, and a rack mountable case.

Are my assumptions correct?

Based on the two programs requirements (Those are recomended btw), what would you do if thats the only program(s) you're ever going to use?

DJ Software Requirements: Windows 95 or 98, 64 MB of RAM, 350 MHZ Processor

Audio Editing Device: Requirements Windows 95 or 98, 64 MB of Ram, 200 MHZ Processor

I'm not an expert, as many of you, so, I'm looking for guidance.

if i were in your position, i would just get a new case with enough room for all the hardware your going to need and remount everything in that. whats the point in buying newer hard ware if your only going to need roughly a 400 or so?

thos requirements for those programs are more than likley based on a pentium class processor, and since your using a celeron 500 (which would more than likley run like a 350 - 400 pentium) your fine. plus you have more than enough ram to run those programs, so your fine. i wouldn't upgrade anything but the case.

so, i think that all in all, your best bet is to do exactly that. take for instance, im using an old dell laptop, and i dont think im going to be upgrading anytime soon. i just use it for internet and IM'ing and its fine. good ol' pentium II 366 with 384mb of ram is all i need :)

Are you saying that I can extend my ram capacity to 1 GB even though HP stated 256 Maximum?
The OS will support it with the tweak I have said but it may be that the biggest memory bars you can fit in your mobo are 256MB and you have just one single slot for them on it for example. That could maybe the limitation HP refers to.
Here's a question though.

When I play my DJ Software, out of 192 MB of ram, I'm only using 66 MB. When, I'm using the Audio Editing

Device, I'm using around 80 MB. Seeing that I'm never going to use these two together, should I make the

modifications, and add more memory when I have so much headroom with 192 MB of RAM?

If you're comfortable enough with that for what you do with your PC, there is no need to upgrade IMO.

I was thinking of having all three IDE Hard Drives, powered by it's own power supply, and, keep the

original power supply for the HP Motherboard, and, CDRW Drive.

Why would you do this ? Is your current PSU not powerfull enough to harness all the load ? If it's not, replace it with a single new one of sufficient power.