IE6 on new XP install

Steve S

Previously running ME as OS, just installed XP last week. As I understand it XP comes with IE6. Problem I now have is upon boot up I get the Internet Explorer install box. I select accept...the process begins..and then I get "Setup has detected a newer version of IE already installed on this system. Setup cannot continue". I then click on cancel setup....install box disappears & all appears to be good until next startup.

I've downloaded all current patches & fixes....so, bar modifying the registry is there any other solution I've overlooked? :)

:) Now you tell me..........why didn't you say something before I purchased XP????? LOL.......

Have upgraded in the past with older OS versions and never had any trouble. Certainley didn't expect any now. Also, as the XP upgrade was considerably less $$ than the full blown version was trying to save some $$$$ :rolleyes:

I assume any attempt to start from scratch with a clean install with the update version won't work without a pre-existing OS in place?????

That being the case........any thoughts. IE6 is the only snag I've had........so far!!!! It is in place and operational....but sure would like to eliminate that pesky install wizard that pops up on boot up. :D

Upgrades and Full versions are exactly the same, except that you are required to produce an older version during setup in order to proceed with the installation of the newer software.

Bachus and R600 are correct. You can perform the clean install using the upgrade cd. During the process it will ask for the "qualifying version". At that point you put in the Windows ME cd, it will check it and continue with the installation.