[lesson1] Howto have fun with regsvr32.exe

Camarade_Tux

• 11 months later...

I still think this is an excellent discovery for those who want the perfect streamlined install. Even though a small portion of the registry is in memory in a given moment, I still like a clean, minimal registry. I hope something eventually comes of this.

This REGINST section stuff makes a big difference in Windows 2000 but in XP, added stuff in the Registry doesn't slow the OS down as much because of the different (better) way the Registry is loaded in XP. In Win2k, the whole thing is loaded into memory. In XP, it's not loaded into paged pool memory.

As a related point of interest, check out the relative Registry size differences between the OS's. Win2k at the top, scroll to the bottom for XP. It's the DOS window in each graphic.

Yes I know and am aware of your benchmarks.

This just makes windows's registry cleaner. Plus it lets you configure some tweaks that historically had problems.

It also has to do with the "a penny is a penny" philosophy (directly translated from French) and in OSes it has already proven to be efficient (XP in 130MB on CD and 370MB installed; slackware on 580MB with all media and 3D stuff...).

Oh, forgot to say: fun. :P