Unlock OEM Win XP install

Hi,

i'd like to use a DVD of XP Home I got with a HP Pavilion on another computer.

I can't find how to make it run on a computer other than HP Pavilion. :blink:

Could you explain how this security is working ? Is it possible to overpass it ?

Thanks to all. :thumbup

it's possible to make a CD from an OEM copy. I posted this about a year ago on another forum. although i have this bad habbit of posting and never coming back for the replies lol. I'm actually using this same method today, i just did some "modifications" that i can't mention on this forum lol.

http://bink.nu/forums/8026/ShowPost.aspx (How-To by me. Name on there is "Replicant")

http://bink.nu/forums/11101/ShowPost.aspx (some guy thanking me lol)

http://bink.nu/forums/11112/ShowPost.aspx (guy that tried my method and had success)

I actually slipstream SP2 on my CD now cause I really don't like dealing with updates. only problem i ran into doing this was the windows activation.. other then that i've been on this method for the past year and a half without any problems.

HP is an SLP OEM. This means their versions of Windows XP have their Product Activation tied to their BIOS. SLP stands for System Lock Protection, and all the large OEMs use it.

SLP is implemented by 2 custom files: i386\setupp.ini and i386\setupreg.hiv. The only legal way to get the non-HP versions of these files is to purchase a new copy of Windows XP.

Even though you could use the HP version to make a bootable CD which will install on other hardware, you won't be able to activate it, so it will stop working after 30 days.

All OEM copies of Windows are explicitly licensed for the hardware they came with; OEM licenses are never transferable. This applies to every single OEM SKU of Windows XP, worldwide with no exceptions. Only FPP (retail) SKUs are transferable and only after the OS is removed from the original machine before transfer to a new machine.

Furthermore, some OEMs customize the device drivers built into their versions of XP. Most of the time, they are merely adding devices to Microsoft's base, but in some cases they can effectively remove or disable generic devices which might otherwise interfere with proper PnP detection and resource allocation of their devices. If you find a file named i386\nt5inf.cat in addition to i386\nt5inf.ca_ (or instead of the .ca_ version) then your disc has been customized in terms of device drivers and may not work well on other hardware.

Hi,

I tried the method of Bi0haZarD, but using the I386 folder of the re-install DVD not the one of my computer, and that is not working.

The install is working properly, but when the computer tries to restart, it get stuck with a blinking cursor on a black screen.

Couldn't find out why ?

I'll try with another version of XP Home, and that raises a question : "How can I extract the included drivers of the OEM disk ?"