Windows Update conflict with Q916281 and Explorer Hang Fix

I finally got to the point that Windows Update indicates no further need to update!

But then, I wanted to apply the explorer hang fix. Can I assume this is the SUM TOTAL of what to do for that?

1) Copy browselc.dll [Version 6.00.2800.1106] and browseui.dll [Version 6.00.2800.1692] to \Program Files\Internet Explorer.

2) Copy browselc.dll [Version 5.50.4807.2300] and browseui.dll [Version 5.50.4948.700] to \Windows\System [in MS-DOS mode!].

3) Reboot.

[There are no other steps, is this correct?]

Now Windows Update insists I do NOT have installed Q916281!

Any ideas?

cjl

ps: If I put the files back, it says I have all updates again!

Have you tried to hex or reshack browseui.dll and replace 5.50.4948.700 by 6.00.2800.1692 ?

And same for browselc.

I guess it is file version checking that is responsible for your "problem".

I finally got to the point that Windows Update indicates no further need to update!

But then, I wanted to apply the explorer hang fix. Can I assume this is the SUM TOTAL of what to do for that?

1) Copy browselc.dll [Version 6.00.2800.1106] and browseui.dll [Version 6.00.2800.1692] to \Program Files\Internet Explorer.

2) Copy browselc.dll [Version 5.50.4807.2300] and browseui.dll [Version 5.50.4948.700] to \Windows\System [in MS-DOS mode!].

3) Reboot.

[There are no other steps, is this correct?]

Now Windows Update insists I do NOT have installed Q916281!

Any ideas?

cjl

ps: If I put the files back, it says I have all updates again!

You put the old fileversions in your systemdir. This is the default place for these files so winupdate wants to replace them (again). This can't be stopped.

You need to keep the files in your systemdir intact and put the old ones somewhere else. These files need to be registered so explorer.exe will use them without hanging.

See here how Wijono figured this out:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry452384

Finally a complete fix!

Yes, this works completely. I went to System Information and find the 5.5-derived files are always loaded [for explorer.exe presumably] and no sight of the 6.0-derived files.

Running IE, the 6.0-derived files ALSO appeared!

And of course WU no longer has a problem; Installed cumulative IE updates STAY installed.

Thanx guys!

One question:

I created a hangfix.bat to do this again. If a new WU cumulative update comes along, do I have to run it again [due to file re-registering]? Not a big problem if prepared for it. I addded /V and /Y to the copy commands so my 5.5-derived files don't generate erroneous complaint messages, etc.

cjl

ps: I'll keep an eye out for non-solved minor annoyances; I suspect there is still a smaller interaction with a lot of open windows and IE, perhaps while downloading and opening dialogue boxes, etc.

This maybe a little off topic, but when I installed the KB916281 under my WinXP SP2 machine and went to the V6 Windows Update site, it STILL offers KB916281. doesnt WU know that I already installed the KB916281 patch for XP? what gives!