program loading speed in vista

hougtimo

Wish I knew, everything is really fast here on my PC.

Only thing I dislike is it asking me if I want to "Continue".

Needs a checkbox |_| Don't ask again untill it changes.

I know how to turn off completely

Edited by maxXPsoft

Wish I knew, everything is really fast here on my PC.

I found a Vista guide that had how to turn off those annoying pop ups, but I forgot the url.

I remember that you had to go into the "Security Policies" by going to run and typing in "secpol.msc" (without qutes), then navigate to "User Account Control" settings. Just so I do not have re type everything to change I will link to an image with my settings.

uac8ys.th.jpg

easier than that just go to Control panel and User Accounts, select yourself. At bottom click the Change Security Settings. Uncheck to Disable UAC and it needs reboot, thats to turn off completely. Also will let programs run that otherwise crash

As I said, I'd rather have a box to say allow but don't ask again unless it changes.

The secpol.msc is handy though till we figure out the shortcuts

Edited by maxXPsoft

Unfortunately this would negate the whole purpose of UAC.

The example commonly used is the Microsoft Management Console - mmc.exe - which is the "shell" for various management functions in Windows.

If you allow this executable to do admin tasks unchecked until it (mmc.exe) changes, then everything from Device Manager to DNS to Windows Firewall with Advanced Networking is tarred with the same brush.

UAC should only kick in for administrative tasks (messing around in Device Manager or Advanced Computer Settings, etc.), actions which affect all users (deleting or creating files in the "All Users" profile), or when badly-coded apps demand access to protected parts of the OS (registry mirroring gets around some of this, but if an app wants read/write access in system32 then it could still trigger it).

Found easier way to disable UAC for those want it

Click on your picture on this New Start menu up top, takes you straight to manage that user. At bottom click the Change Security Settings. :P

Boardbabe no thats not too bad so might try disabling some things

http://www.chris123nt.com/guides/5384/#explorer Explorer Performance Tweaks

NO the Admin stuff at bottom don't work with 5384

Edited by maxXPsoft

superfetch has do with USB memory keys and adding those to your memory pool. the apps opening faster would be the better memory management of vista.

Don't confuse SuperFetch with ReadyBoost. Originally the technology that was used with USB keys was called SuperFetch, but later details showed that SuperFetch was simply the new prioritization scheme that Vista uses. If you use a usb key to speed up memory that uses information from SuperFetch, but the actual speed increase is due to ReadyBoost. Ok I hope that made sense, I'll try and get more information to clarify.

The Windows Vista page over at Microsoft has quite a bit of info:

The Features

Performance

Windows SuperFetch

Windows SuperFetch, a new technology in Windows Vista, allows applications and files to load much faster than on Windows XP-based computers. In previous versions of Windows, system responsiveness could be uneven. You may have experienced sluggish behavior after booting your machine, after performing a fast user switch, or even after lunch. Although too many carbohydrates might slow you down after lunch, your computer slows down for different reasons. When you're not actively using your computer, background tasks—including automatic backup and antivirus software scans—take this opportunity to run when they will least disturb you. These background tasks can take space in system memory that your applications were using. After you start to use your PC again, it can take some time to reload your data into memory, slowing down performance.

SuperFetch understands which applications you use most, and preloads these applications into memory, so your system is more responsive. SuperFetch uses an intelligent prioritization scheme that understands which applications you use most often, and can even differentiate which applications you are likely to use at different times (for example, on the weekend versus during the week), so that your computer is ready to do what you want it to do. Windows Vista can also prioritize your applications over background tasks, so that when you return to your machine after leaving it idle, it's still responsive.

Windows ReadyBoost

Adding system memory (RAM) is often the best way to improve your PC's performance. More memory means applications can run without needing to access the hard drive. However, upgrading memory is not always easy. You need to know what type of memory you need, purchase the memory, and open your computer to install the memory—which sometimes can invalidate your support agreement. Also, some machines have limited memory expansion capabilities, preventing you from adding RAM even if you are willing to do so.

Windows Vista introduces a new concept in adding memory to a system. Windows ReadyBoost lets users use a removable flash memory device, such as a USB thumb drive, to improve system performance without opening the box. Windows ReadyBoost can improve system performance because it can retrieve data kept on the flash memory more quickly than it can retrieve data kept on the hard disk, decreasing the time you need to wait for your PC to respond. Combined with SuperFetch technology, this can help drive impressive improvements in system responsiveness.

Windows ReadyBoost technology is reliable and provides protection of the data stored on your device. You can remove the memory device at any time without any loss of data or negative impact to the system; however, if you remove the device, your performance returns to the level you experienced without the device. Additionally, data on the removable memory device is encrypted to help prevent inappropriate access to data when the device is removed.