How to "clean" Vista public beta 2?

BessenOlli

Working on it, just 3 components for now so have some more patience before it gets interesting.

I too couldn't stand the bloatness but I like the Vendetta beta 2 so something had to be done.

Sound a promising project, but i don't understand why someone would remove components from Vista ?

running it on an old computer with a small HD ? if so, it's time to buy a new one :wacko:

any other idea ?

Components are the same, only difference is in the installation deployment.

Reason to do this...well if your Vista is fast as XP then good for you but for me nLited XP is so much faster than Vista that something has to be done if I ever plan to buy Vista.

Why I even want Vista if I don't want the new components...well it's the new and safer environment, better multimedia support.

Maybe they will allow custom install with their deployment tools, seems like everything is prepared for that.

booogy & nuhi : you don't want the "nice looking crap" ??? well, seeing the sizes of the beta2 isos, i can understand.

but i doubt seriously that vista is more "safer" or have "better multimedia support" than a nlited/tweaked NT 5 (peferably XP or 2003).

I'm talking about now (not "nowadays", but "immediately") : ex. there's no graphic board supporting directx10, and so few vista drivers.

I see your points, but i still don't think there is a real improvement : on old or actual computers, NT 5 is "known" : there's lots of ressources to make it fits perfectly your needs (fancy graphical effetcs, security, stability, etc.). Vista is new, and should be used on new computers with newest hardware (then making optimizations have little inpact)

But I doubt you will ever be able to remove WMP. And it would be nice that it fits on a CD (or even on a MiniCD), just to bother MS.

sautent2.gif

Did i read "MiniCD" ?

:w00t::w00t: Will you publish a shrink mehod soon ? Working on beta2 ? and RC1 ?

++

i'm not sure that english people spells "K7" like french people do... :P

i'm very very very interested by the method used to do that ! (more precisely : what driver did you use to make setup boot from a K7 ???)

It's true K7 (pronounce 'ka set') rather refers to the processor.

A K7:

98200a%20tape%201.jpg

A bit older than the one from AMD isn'it ? :P

And the boot method : put the tape in what is called a CD drive. If it doesn't get in, force but you shouldn't need. And don't forget to set the BIOS !

Another method is to put it in a car tape player and then use a jack-jack wire to connect your car to your computer. Turn on the computer (first!), power on the car, the faster you will get with your car, the faster your computer will run. As simple as that. :)

Btw, I don't know if this works with (motor)bikes. Someboday wanna' test ?

>> It's true K7 (pronounce 'ka set') rather refers to the processor.

Quote from wikipédia :

The word "cassette" is French in origin, so it was acceptable to the Académie française. A popular alphanumeric abbreviation comes from the word's pronunciation /ka ˈsɛt/ in French, which is the same as that for K7 in that language. The same holds true for Catalan. And even though the pronunciation is different /ˈka sɛ tɛ/ in Portuguese, the abbreviation K7 works for them as well. In Spanish it is popularly abbreviated by the letters KCT (pronounced /ka ˈsɛ tɛ/).

>> And the boot method : put the tape in what is called a CD drive. If it doesn't get in, force but you shouldn't need.

Don't try to fool me :angry:

I have a K7 external drive that plugs on the SoundBlaster 16 MIDI port (aka "joystick port"). But my SB16 is an ISA card and my mainboard don't have any ISA slot (only PCI/AGP). Moreover, my BIOS does allow boot from HD, FD, CD/DVD, LAN, USB only.

And, obviouly, "forcing" will not make the old bottle of Vittel fit inside the hole made for the formidable new one. :rolleyes:

>> Another method is to put it in a car tape player and then use a jack-jack wire to connect your car to your computer. Turn on the computer (first!), power on the car, the faster you will get with your car, the faster your computer will run. As simple as that. :)

My computer is not a laptop but a desktop running on 220V AC, and my car is a very old one and its battery and dynamo are not powerful enough to supply a 12V DC -> 220V AC transformer. Thus, i must install overhead wires above the road (don't know yet where i'll find the money for that, but your project sounds so interesting that i may find some investissors). But should i use them for the 220V AC (loading my comp inside my car), or for the jack-jack connection (leaving my comp at home, and using a cell phone to communicate with a friend of mine from my car) ?

Another problem is that my car has a tape drive, but no jack connector :no: On which audio lines i must install one ?

btw, i found this extremely nice site talking about installing a computer in a microwave oven. The site talks about a Vibra16 sound card on ISA slot. Should i install my computer in a microwave oven to use your shrinked Vista tape without hacking my car (i need it to go to work in a few hours) ?

++

Edited by Delprat

>> And the boot method : put the tape in what is called a CD drive. If it doesn't get in, force but you shouldn't need.

Don't try to fool me

I have a K7 external drive that plugs on the SoundBlaster 16 MIDI port (aka "joystick port"). But my SB16 is an ISA card and my mainboard don't have any ISA slot (only PCI/AGP). Moreover, my BIOS does allow boot from HD, FD, CD/DVD, LAN, USB only.

And, obviouly, "forcing" will not make the old bottle of Vittel fit inside the hole made for the formidable new one.

Do they even know what Vittel is ?

But anyway, if you need proofs, I can make a short video.

I just have to finish my exans and... ***** le BAC! :D

Also, take a look at any classic computer such as this one:

446_1.jpg

As you see you can perfectly put the tape in it. :yes:

>> Another method is to put it in a car tape player and then use a jack-jack wire to connect your car to your computer. Turn on the computer (first!), power on the car, the faster you will get with your car, the faster your computer will run. As simple as that.

My computer is not a laptop but a desktop running on 220V AC, and my car is a very old one and its battery and dynamo are not powerful enough to supply a 12V DC -> 220V AC transformer. Thus, i must install overhead wires above the road (don't know yet where i'll find the money for that, but your project sounds so interesting that i may find some investissors). But should i use them for the 220V AC (loading my comp inside my car), or for the jack-jack connection (leaving my comp at home, and using a cell phone to communicate with a friend of mine from my car) ?

Another problem is that my car has a tape drive, but no jack connector. On which audio lines i must install one ?

Just use the jack-jack wire to transfer data (boot data to be precise). If you need power, just visit cadarache. There should be enough electricity in the air. Or, put lots of Copper in a tunnel so you get a coil and drive through it at least at 83MPH. :D

And last solution, use the train.

About the jack connecter, that's sad but you have to take your speakers out.

btw, i found this extremely nice site talking about installing a computer in a microwave oven. The site talks about a Vibra16 sound card on ISA slot. Should i install my computer in a microwave oven to use your shrinked Vista tape without hacking my car (i need it to go to work in a few hours) ?

++

It depends. Where is the cat ? Inside or outside your microwave oven ?