Strange Problem

Forwarder

Hi guys,

i've a strange problem with my German Windows XP Pro. and HFSLIP.

I've done everything how it is described in the "manual" at vorck.com.

My source was a clean German Windows XP Pro. CD only with SP2 slipstreamed - no other software/programmes (in SVCPACK for example).

I used http://users.telenet.be/tc76/winup/_winxp.html to download the suggested hotfixes and software (the German-Versions of course).

I downloaded and used HFSLIP_60528.cmd, also i put mkisofs.exe and CYGWIN1.DLL in HFTOOLS.

Slipstreaming and ISO creation goes well.

I use VMWare Workestation the test the Image.

Textsetup (where you choose partition and so on) also goes well, graphic setup started without a problem.

No HFxxx.inf files missing, everythink smooth until the small text over the progress-bar in graphical setup changed to "saving settings" [translated from german] with exactly 9 minutes left at the installation.

The cursor got the hourglass for about 2 second and the the setup freeze...

I can move the cursor around, but there is no setup-action anymore, i can push any button i will - no reaction. I even let it so for aprox. 1 hour... but no result. (the small "animation" in the lower right corner also stops)

So i tried to do it on a clean install of VMWare and even on an other computer, same problem...

I also left out the hotfixes one time, and the cab's an other time, same problem...

When i restart the virtual-machine after the freeze it boots with Win XP Bootscreen, then i got the message "Setup will run again", and that what it does... till "saving settings"..

There is no ERROR_REPORT.TXT in SOURCESS, i can post the .log later on if that can help.

[i tried to make an ISO from the same source with the /integrate [to install via SVCPACK] switch for the hotfixes and setup installs WinXP smooth on VMWARE]

Anyone with a non-english Windows XP Pro. had this / similar problem before ?

I've searched the forum but i seems everyone had (if any) problems only with missing HFxxx.inf, to even start setup or that hotfixes wont be recognized by WU... If i have overlooked a post with a similar problem to mine - SORRY !

Thanks

Tom

Edited by Forwarder

hi forwarder!

welcome to HFSLIP ...

i perfectly understand what you're going through ... i actually had the same frustration (only it was XP Eng ver) ...

please read through this thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=57659

you'll see how helpful the guys are here! :)

for now, please post your HFSLIP.log ... so the masters can see! :)

i am certain you'll be out of the woods in no time ...

Kiki: Thank you for your help, i read the whole thread but i don't have any other DLL's in my HFSLIP

(See my log attached)

Super-Magician: thank you, i've discovered this name change already.

I've made an ISO with my plain-source from the HFSLIP Source folder and it installs without a problem.

My latest HFSLIP.LOG is attached, maybe it can help to solve my mysterious problem.

Thank you both for help & informations !

Tom

HFSLIP.LOG.TXT

Edited by Forwarder

Forwarder - I haven't checked your hotfixes you want to slipstream, but have you verified your files are the ones listed on tomcat76's signature? Garbage in = garbage out. Don't go too wild at first, start off slow and work up from there. Also, is the machine you are sitting in front of have a functional 16 bit subsystem? Or have you removed the 16 bit subsystem using nlite?

he! he!

Forwarder, i actually hit the wall several times during my initial installs ... being stuck @ 39 mins ... 9 minutes ... less than a minute ... :) ... even allowing my patience to exceed it's threshold ... allowing it to run for hours ... even overnight ... silly me!

some pieces of advise i got from the guys were the following:

(1) delete cat files

(2) minimize hotfixes to those mostly in the list (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=62177) (or those that are only needed by the system)

(3) my apologies but i only took a quick look in your HF files ... would you already have SP2 included?

(3) minimize the addons (but you don't have those anyways :))

(4) could you try to include in your FIX directory: SFC_OS.DL_ ("This is optional, you do not have to shut off WFP" ... most especially if CAT files would be deleted via HFSLIP)

these are just suggestions ... overall though your log shows that it's pretty much simplified ... :)

Edited by Kiki Burgh