Any Advice Appreciated

Steerforth

Re: Mercury 22s post:
Try this first Use CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) 1.30.310 to Fix /clean your comp then use Hide IP Platinum 2.7 and try to connect via a proxy

With Hide IP try different (Change) proxy until you find one which can acces https!!! (To verify this try to connect into a hotmail account)

PS Do you use any firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware? if yes which ?

Now this worked, although I didn't use the cleaner as I have been using another cleaning program all week, which didn't help.

It appears as if I have to keep changing the proxy (right click on icon in lower right hand corner) until I find one that will work.

I accessed my account balances and activity, but the page never seems to be complete (no images, just the information) and it's working very slowly.

I was using Trendmicro as a virus scan. No firewall, though.

But thanks very much! I'll have to see if this works again.

Steerforth

Like He said

the slow loading time is caused by the traffic being routed through a proxy.
:} but you can also use Forum Proxy Leecher to find a faster proxy!

And please do use CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) 1.30.310 i bet it will make a difference ! :yes:

Yes, I did the traceroutes from my PC, but I'm not surprised that there is some confusion. I think this system was jerry-built.

Steerforth

Steerforth, I wrote that the traceroute command has to be executed on your PC, not that you should use your web browser to execute the traceroute command somewhere else. You just verified the traces from 2 different locations to www.citibank.com and you have also verified that these remote computers (servers) are able to resolve the www.citibank.com domain name correctly.

What I asked you for was to execute the traceroute (and ping) command from your local computer. I wrote you exact directions, I can do nothing if you don't want to follow my simple instructions.

Of course, you can eliminate your problems by using http proxy, but I don't think ot is the right way.

Petr

Petr, I have done ALL the traceroutes from *my* PC; it's the only one I have!!

I've only been to the Internet cafe to check my bank account. I've followed your instructions explicitly!

Now, I have another problem....

Last night, everything seemed to be okay. I downloaded Adobe to read a .pdf file. This morning when I booted up, my desktop had been re-sized (this has happened frequently) and now I'm unable to access my account at hotmail.com. I get the sign-in page, but after I enter my user name and password, I get a hotmail page that says "your browser may not support hotmail". I can go no further and cannot read my mail.

I can access my account at Citibank, now, but not Hotmail. Did I say, "jerry-built"?

I'm going to uninstall Adobe and run the cleaner and a virus scan.

A few more days, and I'll have a new processor after I cross the border.

Steerforth

Petr, I have done ALL the traceroutes from *my* PC; it's the only one I have!!

No!!!!

You just used your computer to access another computer on the Internet and the traceroute command was executed on this remote computer, not on your computer!

I'm sorry, I feel really frustrated.

Petr

You feel frustrated? I'm ready to throw this thing in the ocean!!

I ran the Crap Cleaner and Trend Micro, and everything seems to be okay for the present. I appear to be able to access all websites.

But stay tuned........

I did this....

Start - Run - Command - tracert www.citibank.com

I also ran it for my sign-in page.

Same results for both (30 hops)

1. * * * Request Timed Out

2. * * * Request Timed Out

And so forth, thirty times.

Steerforth

Edited by Steerforth

You feel frustrated? I'm ready to throw this thing in the ocean!!

I ran the Crap Cleaner and Trend Micro, and everything seems to be okay for the present. I appear to be able to access all websites.

But stay tuned........

I did this....

Steerforth

Be careful with Hide IP if don't exit Hide ip before you restart (log off) your comp the proxy settings remain there and you have to delete them manually! ;)

Edited by Mercury_22

I appear to be able to access all websites.
So for no apparent reason everything is OK now?
But stay tuned........

I did this....

This means that you have installed some firewall blocking ICMP packets used by ping and tracert commands. This firewall may be either in your DSL modem or in your PC - ZoneAlarm, KPF etc.

But if everything is OK, there is no need to do anything, right?

Petr

Edited by Petr

This means that you have installed some firewall blocking ICMP packets used by ping and tracert commands. This firewall may be either in your DSL modem or in your PC - ZoneAlarm, KPF etc.

But if everything is OK, there is no need to do anything, right?

Yes and no.

I logged on this morning and was able to access Hotmail right away *without* the Hide IP program. But I had to activate it to access Citibank.

It's a three day trial, which ends tomorrow, then I have to pay $35.00 if I want to keep it. But there's no use in throwing good money after bad; I'm just going to buy a new CPU when I go to San Diego later this week.

Thanks for all your help, Petr. :thumbup

Steerforth

Edited by Steerforth

It's a three day trial, which ends tomorrow, then I have to pay $35.00 if I want to keep it. But there's no use in throwing good money after bad; I'm just going to buy a new CPU when I go to San Diego later this week.

Thanks for all your help, Petr. :thumbup

Steerforth

Write down ip and port of the proxy(s) you use with HIDE IP (or use Forum Proxy Leecher to find a proxy) and after the trial expire set manually the proxy settings with the ip and port you wrote down :P

PS By the way buying a new CPU it will NOT solve your problem!

Edited by Mercury_22

PS By the way buying a new CPU it will NOT solve your problem!

I'm betting that it will, but I'll defer to your wisdom if it doesn't. Why would it be okay one day and not the next? I suggest that it's bugs in the system. I've lived here for over five years with Internet and have never had problems such as this one before.

I bought this junker after my laptop had been stolen. It only cost me $100.00 for the entire system. After the local guy set it up for me, I noticed that it only had 1 gb of hard drive, so I sent it back to him for an upgrade. to 40 gb.

Another thing about this system is that it only has 55 MB RAM.

I'll let you know what happens one way or another!

Steerforth :wacko: