Heatsink/Fan help

hmaster10

1) I bought a AMD64 processor and it has a heatsink/fan included, how can i know if it has a thermal pad? is it the grayish square under neat?

2) If it already has a thermal pad, is putting a thermal solution on it can cause problem or it has no effect?

1) I bought a AMD64 processor and it has a heatsink/fan included, how can i know if it has a thermal pad? is it the grayish square under neat?

2) If it already has a thermal pad, is putting a thermal solution on it can cause problem or it has no effect?

1) The gray pad is thermal material

2) If you want to use a different thermal compound, you will need to clean the gray stuff off first

1) The gray pad is thermal material

2) If you want to use a different thermal compound, you will need to clean the gray stuff off first

thanks for the info :)

The grey material (SilPad) was put there by the manufacturer who knows exactly what is required for that heat sink to work properly with that CPU...

USE it....do not remove it or add anything to it.

Cheers!

:thumbup

The grey material (SilPad) was put there by the manufacturer who knows exactly what is required for that heat sink to work properly with that CPU...

Not necessarily, in my experience. I ALWAYS find a cooling difference when exchanging the stock thermanl pad with Arctic Silver-brand Ceramique. The 22-gram syringe is good for many, many builds.