[WAN] 2 internet connections 1 PC+1 VMware Workstation

Hi! :hello:

I have 2 internet connections thru 2 cable modems 2 network adapters on my pc one for each connection ,my ISP it's using MAC ADDRESS of both modem and adapter to allocate me an IP address and I need help with 2 problems:

1.Can i setup my pc to use both connections in the same time to double my speed?

2.Can i setup my PC to use only one connection and my VMware Workstation to use the other ?

Edited by Mercury_22

1.Can i setup my pc to use both connections in the same time to double my speed?
You need a router that supports 802.3ad Link aggregation for this. Good luck finding an affordable one for home use! ;/ Cards are easier to come by, but you need both.
2.Can i setup my PC to use only one connection and my VMware Workstation to use the other ?
I'm not familiar with a way to bind VMWare to a specific network card.

Two very interesting ideas!

You would think so by the title, but I don't see a way to bind to a specific interface.

Maybe someone else knows...?

That it CAN be done! Look in "Host virtual network mapping" and change vmnet0 or vmnet1...to be bridged to an adapter you choose

But this it's only make my modem to see VMware Workstation as a second comp and i CAN'T acces the internet because my ISP it's using MAC ADDRESS of both modem and adapter to allocate me an IP address!

What if i'll change the mac of the adapter (from the PC) and replace the mac of VMware Workstation with the original mac of the PC adapter! CAN it be done? :huh:

Edited by Mercury_22

Ahh...there are loads more options in the Virtual Network Editor than there are in the actual VMWare application. But I still don't see a way to do what you want. The only adapters available to configure in the software are adapters that are already enabled on the host OS. I have an adapter that is 'disabled' and could be used as you describe but the software doesn't 'see' it.

I can't think of how this would really work. Once the adapter is enabled the VMWare virtual adapters would have to hijack the real adapter and prevent the OS from using it. Sharing it? Yeah...but hijacking it would require some software trickery. Certainly possible, though.

my ISP it's using MAC ADDRESS of both modem and adapter to allocate me an IP address and I need help with 2 problems:
What do you mean by this? Are you saying that the IP resolves to something like MAC1.MAC2.ISP.NET? The IP itself is assigned to (based on) the modem MAC.

What do you mean by this? Are you saying that the IP resolves to something like MAC1.MAC2.ISP.NET? The IP itself is assigned to (based on) the modem MAC.

My ISP it's using modem's MAC AND MY ADAPTER's MAC to alocate me (Dynamic! :blink: ) an IP

They ask me both macs when i setup my internet connection (That's all i know) :huh:

Ok! The VMWARE problem it's solved! Today i've tested MY SOLUTION describe above and IT'S WORKING!!! :D but thanks only to the fact that my ISP it's using both MACs to let me connect to the internet!

Any ideea for double my speed using both connections on the same time? :huh::blink:

Congrats :)

So what exactly do you have working? The VMWare-to-Adapter binding? Can you share with us how you did it?

Also, I'm curious why you would need a setup like that. Did you need VMWare to have its own IP address? If so, why?

Congrats :)

So what exactly do you have working? The VMWare-to-Adapter binding? Can you share with us how you did it?

Also, I'm curious why you would need a setup like that. Did you need VMWare to have its own IP address? If so, why?

Yes i want vmware to have its own IP !

First i've change one of my PC ADAPTER MAC (MAC that my ISP it's using to give me acces to internet)to a random one then i replace vmare adapter's mac with the one used by my ISP.Then i bridged vmawre adapter to that pc adapter :P

Edited by Mercury_22

Interesting hack. Depending on a few factors, you may have trouble with that configuration when you reboot.

Would you mind experimenting a bit for me? Please disable your primary adapter so that the only route to the net is the adapter that is bound to VMWare...are you still able to access the net with your host (non-VM) machine?

Is VMWare 'bridged' or "NATted" to the bound adapter?

Did you change VMWare's MAC within the virtual machine or using VMWare's configuration utility? (operating system vs (and/or) VMWare)

Interesting hack. Depending on a few factors, you may have trouble with that configuration when you reboot.

Would you mind experimenting a bit for me? Please disable your primary adapter so that the only route to the net is the adapter that is bound to VMWare...are you still able to access the net with your host (non-VM) machine?

Is VMWare 'bridged' or "NATted" to the bound adapter?

Did you change VMWare's MAC within the virtual machine or using VMWare's configuration utility? (operating system vs (and/or) VMWare)

Ok!

1. - Changing the MAC of the PC's "host (non-VM) machine" adapter it makes the PC UNABLE TO USE THAT ADAPTER TO CONNECT TO INTERNET so disableing the other adapter makes my PC ( "host (non-VM) machine" ) UNABLE to connect to internet but VMW IT'S ABLE to connect to internet

2. - VMW IT'S BRIDGED to the PC adapter ("bound") (Manage Virtual Networks \ Host virtual network mapping \ VMnet0 )

3. - I changed VMWare's MAC within the virtual machine (operating system)

:hello:

Edited by Mercury_22

Sweet! I don't think others would have the same luck as you since most ISPs only validate the modem, not the client MACs.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup

Yes but if you use something (firewall?) which can allow/disallow acces according to mac address you are lucky too! :thumbup

Edited by Mercury_22