[REQUEST] Vista Icon Pack 2.1

SonWolve

Would be great if someone could get this into addon form...

As it is right now, basically it unpacks itself, you launch a batch file, hit enter for the pause and it will start its business in editing the appropriate files to change your icons. Then after a restart you have to run a icon cache rebuild and its done. I haven't been able to figure out how to get this to run silent (VERY new to this) but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard, esp if you have file protection disabled... with a different icon pack I tried grabbing all the files it edited and CAB them and throw them into the I386 directory on my install DVD but that only changed some things and certainly not all the icons... anyway I would greatly appreciate if someone could figure out how to get this pack to work in a silent environment. Thanks!!!

Here is a link to the pack (Rapidshare)

Here

Thanks!

All these "icons pack" use reshacker and directives files.

You need to find which files have to be updated, expand them, patch them, cab them.

I managed to do it with Bricopacks, but these installers are the worst. The installation method used in this icon pack is slightly different but will make everything easier for me. :)

(with bricopacks, I had to put a file in a specific location and make it read-only..., real pain)

PS: integrating bricopacks was in fact a "proof of concept". ;)

Nice man, I tried doing that earlier, grabbing what I thought were all the patched files, and cabbing them but I couldn't get it to go through, if you get this to work your the man! =P

:/

I had no time to learn a "true" coding langage and now I have an old problem with AutoHotKey : I can't use dots in a variable content.

I'll see if I can do it with AutoIt instead. Otherwise, I'll have to drop the source and hope someone can code it with another language.

Anyway, here's half of the source:

SetWorkingDir, D:\Scratch\Download\VIPv2_SP
SysPatch = $COMMONFILES\Vista Icon Pack v2 Ultimate - System Patch
SOURCESS=D:\Adrien\Sources\hfslip\SOURCE
Loop, Read, main.txt
{
if A_Index != 1
{
StringTrimRight, IUV, %A_LoopReadLine%, 1
CAB=%IUV%_
RunWait, expand -r %SOURCESS%\I386\CAB %A_WorkingDir%\WORK

StringTrimRight, IUV, %A_LoopReadLine%, 4
RES=%IUV%.res
RunWait, %SysPatch%\ResHacker.exe -addoverwrite %A_WorkingDir%\WORK\%A_LoopReadLine%, %A_WorkingDir%\WORK\%A_LoopReadLine%, %SysPatch%\%RES%
}
}

In fact, it is OK.

I still have to add a few things (language collision, progress bar, dialogs to ask for the SOURCE folder) but this is how it looks right now:

PressePapier04.png

edit: language collision solved, another bug solved. User Interface tonight.

Also, I'm thinking about copying the files to the CD since any hotfix will overwrite patched files and restore original icons. Having the files on the CD will let you reload everyhting.

And, I do not patch sfc_os.dll ! I have other things to do.

Last, this should work with 2k too.

Edited by Camarade_Tux

• 2 weeks later...

MakeCab ?... or ModifyPE ?

Take a little look at Xpize, you'll see the solution about hotfixes : slipstream the ressources in the files in i386, and keep them separetely with a "updater" script.

(and you'll understand why the PE format, mixing binary code and ressources is a.... well, in fact there's no word to describe this mess)

If there's a better solution, i hope you'll find it : this one takes lots of space (not so much if compressed, but even some nuclear plants don't have duplicated security systems... and most of them don't explode with a Blue Storm Of Death :lol: )

++

No, makecab.exe.

Files are updated, but I can't repack them!

Take a little look at Xpize, you'll see the solution about hotfixes : slipstream the ressources in the files in i386, and keep them separetely with a "updater" script.
No need in fact; if you want to reload icons, just use regular VIP installer. :P
(and you'll understand why the PE format, mixing binary code and ressources is a.... well, in fact there's no word to describe this mess)

Indeed but there's no real other solution to achieve the same goals.

Check ICL on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICO_%28icon_i..._file_format%29