WoW Causing laptop shutdown

BoardBabe

Acer TravelMate 8600, ATI Radeon 9700 Gfx.

While playing WoW, after about 2-5 min the laptop comes to a hard shutdown.

What is causing this? How can I resolve the issue/debug?

Ps. There are no issues while in Windows.

Edited by BoardBabe

How old/new is your laptop boardbabe?

Presumably you dont get any other problems with any other games right? because if you do, it could be a problem with the gfx chipset too [as with the one i have , some people have that problem with a dodgy gfx chip]

http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135

[have a look at here - very cool place and they might have got some threads already for the problem you have]

Cneers

Nath

EDIT: forgot to mention, have you used a can of compressed air to blow out the air vents / ducts? This can be a very useful thing to try as mine started playing up - but i did that everywhere i could - and things went back to normal. Of course, do this with the machine off ;)

Edited by tarquel

Thank you for your help!

My lappy is not even a year old and high-speced... Should run most games without ANY problem. I have previously ran HL2 and CS without complications... I've got the latest drivers (that Acer rarely/never update) and BIOS. I have not tried to blow out the vents, but doubt that's needed since the machine is fairly new... But I could try!

I don't really know how to set or see the temp. There is option to alter shutdown temp in the BIOS, but there are temp monitor. Ill check what the temp is at reboot after WoW hard shutdown.

you might wanna try hitting ctrl+f1 right after entering bios then go to pc health. sometimes this combination reveals more bios options.

Thnx! How cool, I'll see if that works!

Edit: Ctrl+f1 did nothing :( F1 shows help though. The BIOS is extremly limited, almost like there should be some more dev. options. Only things I can alter is boot device order and password mainly. And I cannot see temp :(

Edited by BoardBabe

Thank you for your help!

No probs - tis a pleasure lol :D

My lappy is not even a year old and high-speced... Should run most games without ANY problem. I have previously ran HL2 and CS without complications... I've got the latest drivers (that Acer rarely/never update) and BIOS.
You are using the drivers from Acer's website yes? Yucky hehe Try pointing your browser here:

http://www.ati.com/online/mobilecatalyst/

and download the latest mobile catalyst - works a treat on my Acer - and currently its catylyst 6.5 [just come out]

.NET Framework 1.x is needed btw so make sure its fully installed before you try this driver by the way

Keep the install for the other one handy just in case ;) but it should be fine. Have a look at ATI's page on it as it mentions the supported chipsets there i believe:

http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/mobility/index.html

[Dont worry about the fact it doesnt mention Acer in the list of laptop manufacturers supported - the little download at the bottom of the page is pointless as all it does is check to see whether your system is from the manufacturers on the list - so go direct to the source i.e. my first link hehe ;)]

I have not tried to blow out the vents, but doubt that's needed since the machine is fairly new... But I could try!

depends what fairly new means - if u have been using it for about 3 months+, then its worth doing :)

...hell, its worth doing anyway - removing any dust from the system will definately help any laptop that uses normal fans/ducts for cooling to perform better - after all, build up of dust on vents and in fans restricts airflow and prevents the effectiveness of the heat dispersion [or something like that hehe].

PS Got my laptop [see the sig] last sept-ish, and it was pretty clogged with dust - the system became stable again once i gave it a good "air-dusting" :D

Good luck and let us know

Nath

Edited by tarquel

Wow! Thanks, I haven't downloaded the drivers from ATI since it says I should (have to) use Acers own drivers, althoug I see the Acer driver is way outdated.... I'll try install the one you pointed me to!

My laptop is about 6-8 months old. I will definately try blow out the vents like you say. Hmmm wonder where I can get a can of air for that...

(from http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/mobility/index.html - on the next page:

Graphics technologies supported:

Mobility™ Radeon® X800

Mobility™ Radeon® X700

Mobility™ Radeon® X600

Mobility™ Radeon® X300

Mobility™ Radeon® 9800

Mobility™ Radeon® 9700

Mobility™ Radeon® 9600

You should be fine - just uninstall the ones you have got installed - along with the control panel / CCC - and make sure u have Microsoft's .NET Framework 1.x installed.

Regarding the air can...here you go.... i've had a look for you ;)

http://www.stretto.no/PartDetail.aspx?q=c:...502445;b:7;pl:1

http://www.stretto.no/PartDetail.aspx?q=c:...671300;b:7;pl:1

[the 2nd one is bigger capacity - its the one i have btw lol - tho obviously i didnt buy it from there but google.no it ;)]

Enjoy, but dont spray it on your skin lol

Nath.

Edited by tarquel

when it comes to games, its usuallt always a good thing - but definately get a can of air too - overheating can cause physical damage to the machine remember if the airflow is interupted/restricted...

Regards

Nath.